ch 36: sunny

"Cheezus Christ, Sunny, calm down before you get us killed, dude. Breathe, okay?"

I closed my eyes for a second at the first stop sign exiting the lot near the football field. All I wanted was to get off this campus and away from everyone.

I needed to calm down.

I pulled my car forward slowly, trying my best not to press too hard on the accelerator, knowing just how quick my little baby was.

After finally exiting the school grounds, I let out a huff, like it was finally something I could get off my chest.

"Ugh, I hate her!"

"Who?"

I looked over at Gia, before rolling my eyes and focusing back on the road.

"Nobody."

"So, obviously, we're talking about Mariah Porter."

I looked over at Gia again and her knowing smirk at least let me calm down a little, ready to get everything that's happened in the last 24 hours off of my chest.

After I told her about everything, she sucked her lip in smiling as she held it between her teeth.

"Look, I know she's 'technically' still Nate's girlfriend and we're probably super sucky people for doing what we are, but Gee... he's mine. Always has been, even if I didn't know it."

Gia snorted a little to herself and I looked over once again at one of those little looks she likes to give right before she 'drops knowledge'.

"What?"

"Nothing... you've just-- always been weird about Nate."

"No, I haven't."

"Okay... but you have. Tristan was one thing--"

I groaned and rolled my eyes before adjusting myself in my seat, hopping on the freeway.

"Yeah. Tristan was a big fucking mistake."

"Oh come on, Bunni. Don't act like you didn't fall for that whole 'Bad Boy- Pretty' thing. I can understand that. I mean, yeah, Tristan's hot... but at the same time, with Nate... girl, I could see it. You've always loved him. You were just too chicken-shit and selfish to admit it."

"Wow... thanks, Gee."

She smirked and shrugged.

"Anytime, babes."

"But, you're right. I do love him. Which is why I had to leave that game. If 'Backyard Barbie' got too close to the fence on the sidelines, I don't think I could be held responsible for the amount of pretty blonde hair that I'd rip out."

Gia started to laugh uncontrollably for a few moments, fanning her eyes, trying to keep the tears from falling.

"Sun, you're a fucking trip."