ch 35: sunny

"Nate, just tell me we're okay..."

After scribbling a few changes into my notebook, I sat back for a moment finally feeling like I had done it.

The melody that had been stuck in my head was never about Tristan; it was always Nate, and I was just too blind to see it.

My head began to hurt a little as more tears formed and I wanted to kick myself in the ass for not seeing that it was always Nate.

I didn't deserve him and I never would... point, blank, period.

After taking my headphones off and wiping my face I nearly jumped out of my skin, but definitely out of my seat when a deep, familiar voice boomed from behind me.

"It's... it's okay. We're okay."

Nate was standing in my doorway, and as his eyes watered, the tears in mine finally spilled over and suddenly I felt like I couldn't breathe, not until I could get the pressure off my heaving chest.

"Flower, I--"

"Nate, I love you."

His eyes looked over me guardedly as he bit his lip and took a small step closer and I couldn't blame him for his cautiousness; I just needed him to know the truth.

"I'm like... in love with you..."

He stopped for a moment and I hung my head, knowing I was making a fool of myself; I just didn't know what else to do to make the pain in my chest and my stomach stop.

"And I know that telling you isn't fair. I mean-- you've got a girlfriend and I just... oh, God... I'm sorry, Nate-- for everything, okay? I know I'm too late, so I'm just gonna..."

Suddenly I had to get out of there.

Reality finally set in and after realizing what I had just told Nate, I couldn't just stand there.

I had to keep my eyes focused on the floor as I went to pass him, but was stopped when Nate gently tugged my arm back.

I looked up at him and the soft smile on his face was enough to make me melt, even if it was the smile that was going to let me down gently.

"Okay, first of all, go where? This is your space."

He looked around and emphasized with his hands, causing me to smirk a little, followed by a sniffle then a sigh.

I was really about to run out of my own recording studio; was I just an idiot or did love make you stupid?

"Hey... shhh Flower, don't cry. I hate when you cry. You didn't let me get to my 'second of all'."

He paused for a second and when I felt him cradle my face and wipe my tears with the pads of his thumbs, I looked up to see him staring at my lips.

"And second... I love you, too."

My eyebrows knit together in confusion, hearing what Nate said; I'd honestly thought I had blown my chance years ago.