ch 17: tristan

"What are you doing here, Tristan?"

After running across her backyard, I found myself standing in front of Sunny, right outside her kitchen.

She stepped out a little further, ducking behind a large tree in her backyard, so we couldn't be seen from inside the house.

"Bun, look... I'm sorry I disappeared earlier."

She shrugged, not making eye contact with me, causing my heart rate to spike in panic.

"Whatever, Tristan. Over before it even began..."

She kinda mumbled the last part, so I'm not sure she meant for me to hear... but I did.

"Wait, what? Over?"

She remained silent, crossing her arms over her chest as her eyes stayed focused on the ground.

"Bunni, don't-- you don't mean that."

I shook my head in desperation, taking a step towards her only to have her take another step back.

"Sunny, please... don't do this."

She looked back up, but the twinkle in her eyes seemed to be gone. It was like she was looking right through me.

"Go home, Tristan."

"Bunni, I'm sor--"

"Flower, hey. Your mom said dinner's ready."

Was I expecting to see Nate walk out of her house?

"Of course, he's here."

I chuckled bitterly, thinking about how happy Tristan must've been when he no doubt ran to Sunny's rescue.

"Tristan, dude-- don't. You ditched her and she needed me."

"Oh, she did?"

I looked back to Sunny, seeing her nervously biting her lip and tugging at a lock of her hair, avoiding my gaze.

She shook her head mumbling something to Nate before she scurried back into the house ignoring me calling out for her.

A second later, Nate was blocking my path to follow Sunny.

"Just leave her alone, Tris."

"Just crawl out of her ass, Nate."

Nate took that moment to walk away, but not before shaking his head at me in disgust.

I waited for a second, before placing the small black gift bag I brought on a kitchen windowsill, before backing away, retreating out of the patio.

🖤

𝕎𝕙𝕒𝕥'𝕤 𝕚𝕟 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕓𝕒𝕘?