ch 37: nate

"Your West Brentwood High School Homecoming King... Nathan O'Connell!"

As Principal Greene called out my name, a small, knowing smile pulled at my face; I made it through the crowd, being congratulated by a throng of students on my way, and once I was on stage, I glanced over as Principal Greene opened the second envelope.

"And you Queen... S--"

He stopped for a moment, before looking at Ms. Davidson, the school secretary; she nodded and shrugged with a smile on her face before Principal Greene cleared his throat, ready to re-address the crowd.

"Well, besides Mr. O'Connell's record-scoring win game yesterday, it seems like this school is just setting all types of records this weekend. As the first-ever 'Written-in' Queen, she has more write-in votes than anyone on the actual ballot..."

The crowd looked over at Principal Greene as he began announcing Homecoming Queen and once her name was announced I had to stifle back an amused smirk.

"Your Homecoming Queen... Sunny Prescott."

I knew I was gonna give a shit about the tantrum Mariah might've wanted to throw, because all I wanted for my senior year was for my Flower to be up on stage with me.

When I finally saw her again, approaching the stage in that gorgeous white dress that made her look like the goddess she was, I ran over to the stairs and held my hand out, wanting nothing more than to escort her onto the stage.

"Nate... I wasn't-- I wasn't on Court..."

"And somehow you still won... hmm. Go figure, right?"

She saw my devilish smirk and pulled me in for a kiss, shaking her head after we parted. The DJ began to announce the Homecoming court for the final time, and as Sunny and I were dubbed "king and Queen', I wrapped her in my arms, slowly swaying to the song that was starting to play, not caring that Mariah had just stormed off the stage.

Once she recognized it as one of her own songs, Sunny looked up at me, her gorgeous brown eyes beaming up at me in frustration.

"I can't believe they're actually playing this right now. It's so embarrassing."

"Why, Flower?"

She looked up at me and scrunched her nose before shaking her head.

As her finger remained locked around the back of my head, I swayed to the beat, making sure to mentally capture each fragment of her like a still photo.

She would always be the definition of perfection... but something about the way she looked tonight... She looked absolutely magnificent.

"Well... I might have slipped the AV club a very rough copy of the copy you gave me."

She eyed me for a second, and as I swayed her hips back and forth to the beat of her own song, she smiled and relaxed against my shoulder.

"You're just lucky I like this song, Nathaniel."

I gripped the left side of her hip and looked around to make sure the coast was clear before my free hand gripped her right buttcheek as discreetly as I could.