ch 6: tristan

"What made either of you think you had the right to tell and of the guys at school they couldn't ask me out? That wasn't your call!"

I was driving Nate and Bunni back to my place after school and she was laying into us. I guess she heard we both kinda warned most of the guys at school to leave her alone.

Nate was sitting next to me because Bunni refused to sit next to either of us and was currently fuming in my backseat.

Nate shrugged and turned to look out of his window, leaving a still annoyed-looking Sunny Jaymes Prescott staring at me from my rearview mirror.

"Well?!"

I sighed before glancing at her for a moment in the mirror and I swear... It's like I fall a little more for her every time I see those big brown eyes looking at me.

"Look, you don't want anything to do with those guys, it was a favor. They're bad news, okay?"

"What, like you?"

She mumbled it. I don't think she meant for me to say it and I wasn't gonna pretend like I didn't.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I'm in high school now, Tris. You can't keep treating me like a little kid!"

Nate kind of chuckled to himself before pulling his headphones out and popping them into his ears as Bunni continued.

"I'm going. To the dance. With Casey."

"Bunn--"

"No, Tris, I'm going, okay? You're gonna have to let me start growing up."

When we finally got to my house, Sunny ran in and went straight to her room, locking her door so both me and Nate couldn't follow her.

I sat outside of her door for twenty minutes, just listening to her strum on her guitar.

I heard a particularly angry chord being strummed before she groaned. It sounded like she threw her guitar out of frustration and I sighed to myself.

She was right.

I knew Bunni wasn't a little kid anymore, but I was having a hard time accepting that.

I also knew I needed to let her grow up, but thinking about her with any of those jerks from school wasn't even an option.

I only saw one real way to make sure those guys would stay away from my Bunni, and even though I knew she was probably gonna hate me after, it was something that needed to be done.

Her dad picked her up that night after his practice, and I knew this would probably be the only opportunity that I had.

"Hey, umm... Mr. Prescott...? Can I talk to you for a second?"

🖤