ch 8: nate

It's been a few days since the news broke that Flower's leaving, and I don't think I've ever felt like this before.

Helpless, because it's our dads' job; but also annoyed and really frustrated because there's nothing I can do about it.

And I know Sunny's trying to make the most out of a bad situation, but her setting me up with a new lab partner just feels weird.

"Look, you're lucky that Mr. Bloom is letting us pick which duo becomes a trio for Biology, okay? There's plenty of... people in that class that are no bueno... As your best friend, I have to make sure you're good."

I rolled my eyes, irritated by the fact that I seem to be the only one affected by our kiss two years ago.

"Stop trying to play Matchmatcher, Flower. I'll be okay."

"Dude, I'm just making sure you don't fail that class! All the girls at Bristol are trash and at this point I'm happy to be getting away."

"And I'm sure they'll be happy you're getting away too."

She cocked her eyebrow up in confusion when she rolled over on my bed to face me.

"What do you mean?"

"Tristan: you won't be in the way for all of them anymore."

Her confused look became even more severe, causing me to roll her eyes at her naivety. I couldn't believe how blind she could be.

"Don't act like you haven't secretly loved the fact that he's teased you for years! God, I'm just surprised he hasn't completely broken your heart already."

I could see the tears in her eyes, but I didn't care. She was leaving me and she was fine with it; nothing else mattered.

If she could hurt me, I could hurt her too.

"He's been a jerk for years and you fell for it every time, didn't you, Bunni?"

The mocking way I used Tristan's nickname for her was like the straw that broke the camel's back-- I knew I had crossed a line I'd never get the chance to come back from.

As she ran out, I nodded to myself, knowingly; there was a part of me deep down that always knew Sunny would never actually choose me.

She was always going to pick Tristan and I would end up losing her eventually.

Now I was losing her forever.

🖤

𝕊𝕠, 𝕨𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕪'𝕒𝕝𝕝 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕜?