ch 26: sunny

"...on your mind tonight..."

As I sang the last note, I opened my eyes, seeing no emotion on the faces of the three people in the room.

The older gentleman leaned over and whispered to the guy he was sitting next to.

The younger guy kept his eyes focused on me but nodded, while the woman next to them leaned in to whisper as well.

I stood there nervously fiddling with the cuffs on my denim jacket and as I sucked my lip between my teeth, the three of them all looked over at me again, this time with bright smiles on their faces.

The woman stood and straightened out her skirt before walking over to me, extending her hand.

"Well, Ms. Prescott..."

"I'll always be able to say I knew you way before you became 'Sunny'."

I smiled and looked over at Nate. He took his eyes off the road for a moment and glanced over at me, winking playfully, making my cheeks feel warm. I rolled my eyes and shook my head.

"It's a one-album contract, Nate. No big deal. I could end up like every other celebrity kid that tries music out."

He shook his head fiercely as he reached over and grabbed my hand, lacing our fingers together.

"Nah, babe. Unlike those other celebrity kids, you're actually talented."

I felt my stomach tying up in knots, and I wasn't sure why.

Nate had called me 'babe' before, but it never felt like this.

This time was... different.

I shook my head and pushed those feelings back as he pulled into the restaurant parking lot. My parents were taking us to celebrate, and as Nate pulled into the valet line, I received a text from my Mom, saying they had just got a table.

"Let's go. I'm starving."

It was still pretty early, and since it was the first day of school, there was no homework or football practice.

Our curfews were nine on weeknights, so after dinner, Nate and I went to the Santa Monica pier.

We got on rides, played games, and even shared a funnel cake.

The breeze whipped through my hair and I wrapped my arms around myself tighter, before Nate stepped behind me, trapping me against the railing, his body warming mine as his chin rested in the crook of my neck.

"Nate, this has been the best day ever."

"Everyday with you is a good one for me."

There they were again.

Those fucking knots.

The weird feeling in my stomach only intensified when I turned around in Nate's arms, catching him licking his lips, his crystal eyes peering into me like he was staring straight into my soul.

"Flower...?"

I stopped thinking and just did it.

I didn't care if it would affect our friendship.

I didn't care if Tristan found out.

All I cared about was getting as close to Nate as possible.

He fell into the kiss and soon enough we were the quintessential teen couple, making out on the boardwalk.

🖤

𝕋𝕙𝕠𝕦𝕘𝕙𝕥𝕤?

𝕋𝕖𝕒𝕞 𝕋𝕣𝕚𝕤𝕥𝕒𝕟, 𝕙𝕠𝕨 𝕘𝕦𝕪𝕤 𝕗𝕖𝕖𝕝𝕚𝕟?