ch 24: sunny

"Okay, just breathe, Sun. You're okay... just, calm down."

As I paced in my studio, I began telling myself that everything was okay. I had just received some major news from my dad, and I knew the first person I needed to talk to was Nate.

He showed up a few minutes later, using the key he had. The moment he walked in I stopped pacing, scrunching my eyebrows in anxiety.

"Flower, what's wrong? Why are you freaking out?"

Nate's arms were protectively wrapped around me a second later, allowing me to bury my face in his chest for a moment, relaxing a bit as his cologne invaded my senses.

I looked up into his electric blue eyes and bit my lip before sharing my news with him.

"My dad... one of his friends is a music producer. My dad let him listen to one of my songs..."

A hopeful look was on Nate's face as he smiled and tugged on my waist.

"And they wanna shop your songs?"

I looked down and shook my head, immediately feeling Nate tense up. When I looked back into his eyes, they were filled with confusion.

"They don't wanna shop my songs for other artists. They wanna sign me. I have a meeting on Monday after school."

"Well, that's great... right?"

"What if I can't do it, Nate? What if--"

"But you can. You can do it, Flower. I- I believe in you."

Nate began rubbing circles into my lower back, something that always calmed me down as my eyes fell from his eyes to his plump lips.

I'm not going to lie, whatever workout routine Nate picked up last year has definitely been paying off.

I never thought I'd look at him the way I was and once I realized what was happening, I took a step back.

I couldn't cross that line with Nate-- He was my best friend and Tristan's brother.

And besides, I already blew my shot with Nate a few years ago. There's no way he could still like me like that.

"Now, since I came all the way over here..."

I rolled my eyes, knowing it only took about 7 minutes for Nate to drive my house from his.

"Will you please, please, please come to my party?"

I rolled my eyes and looked away from Nate, not wanting to argue with him.

"I don't know..."

"C'mon, Flower. He won't even show his face."

I rolled my eyes and scoffed while shaking my head.

"Yeah, because Tristan hates parties."

"Sun, I'm serious. You know he fucking hates me. Plus we all went to high school with him and there's no way he wants everyone to see him hobbling around like a pathetic old has-been."

I smirked a little and punched Nate's arm in shock. He shrugged and rolled his eyes as he turned his head, staring off at nothing.

"What? It's not a lie... and he deserves worse."

🖤