ch 17: nate

Sunny and her Mom were gonna drop me back off at home after dinner, so after saying bye to her dad, I went to find her. She was already outside, on the patio near her kitchen, sitting on the brick wall.

I noticed the sparkly blue turtle in her hands the moment I stepped outside.

"What's that?"

"Nothing."

Her voice was so squeaky and came out so quickly, I barely heard her. She nervously hopped up, stuffing the turtle into a black bag, before ducking around me back into the house.

"I'm gonna go grab my jacket, and I'll be right back!"

I would have been an idiot not to notice how quiet Sunny was on the ride back to my house, and as her mom finally parked her car, I looked up at Sunny, in the passenger seat, with curiosity in my eyes.

"Walk me to my door, Flower?"

In my head, it was now or never. If I didn't let her know now, she never would.

I fiddled with my keys, jingling them nervously as we walked up my driveway, my heart beating in my ears.

As we finally stopped in front of my door, I turned to look down at her, and suddenly, the words I was trying to say just wouldn't come out.

"Look, Flower... I just-- I wanted to-- You know I've always--"

"What is it, Nate? C'mon, spit it out."

Her angelic, brown eyes seemed to relax and help me find the words I'd been looking for.

"Do you wanna go on a date with me?"

Her eyes widened in shock as her mouth gaped open, indicating this was the last thing she thought would happen.

When she started to nervously stammer, I felt my heart start to break.

"Nate, you're amazing. I just-- you-- I never--"

"It's okay, Flower, really."

"But, you--"

"Just forget it okay? It's cool. I'll uh, I'll see you on Monday."

I quickly slipped into the house, leaving Sunny on my front steps. After closing the front door, I  pushed myself off of it and ran to my room, feeling like something was crushing my chest.

🖤