ch 32: sunny

"Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!"

Another balled-up piece of paper was thrown on the ground near my garbage bin, adding to the collection of discarded wads on the floor.

I been in my studio all morning, desperately trying to put lyrics to the stupid melody I'd been thinking about for months.

"Maybe you should take a break, Sweetie."

I spun around in my chair to see my mom setting a plate on the soundboard in front of me.

I smiled, appreciating the grilled cheese sandwich she'd made for.

After tossing my notepad back on the soundboard, I focused on the plate, picking the crust off the sandwich.

"Thanks, Mom."

"Of, course. Now... wanna tell me what's wrong?"

I kept my head down, staring at the sandwich as I meticulously continued to rip the crust off the edges.

I had a million thoughts running through my head, but only a few words decided to come out?

"Why are relationships so hard? And... why are boys so stupid?!"

I watched a warm smile find my mom's face as she sat in the black chair across from me, slowly nodding her head.

"Ahh, so this is about you, Nathan, and Trista, right?"

My eyes bulged in shock and I cocked my head back.

"Mom?! How'd you--"

"Sunny Jaymes, please. Babygirl, I know you like the back of my hand, and... the three of you have been running around like this since y'all were babies."

I finally relented and spilled to my mom, letting her in on what had been happening the past few years between Me, Tris, and Nate.

"And, now... there's this other guy--"

"The one that sent you those flowers."

She nodded over to the table where I had the bouquet of black sunflowers set up, causing me to smile a little, feeling a small rumbling in my stomach.

"Maybe..."

"Did I ever tell you about when me and your dad broke up?"

If I'd been drinking something, this would've been the moment for my spit-take because there was absolutely no fucking way I just heard her right.

"What?! You and Dad broke up... when?! Oh, my God, am I the only reason he stayed?!"

"Whoa! Sunny Jaymes, calm down!"

My mom giggled to herself for a few moments before her laughs subsided and she wiped her tears.

"Little girl, no. It was nothing like that, okay? Trust me. What I meant was... okay long story short? Me and your dad broke for a little while over something... so dumb, and I ended up going on a date with another guy."

I watched as my mom smirked to herself, shaking her head as if the nostalgia was getting to her.

"Connor... something, I don't even remember. But, the point is... going out with Connor helped me realize just how much I needed your dad-- no matter how much he made my head hurt. Your dad is my person. We just needed to talk to each other to understand that."

She smiled again and bit her lip, and I nodded, knowing there were two very important conversations I needed to have.

🖤