ch 12: sunny

I was pissed and I knew Nate could tell.

As we rode in the back of our Uber on our way to Callan's party, my right leg was bouncing wildly, only stopping when Nate placed his hand over it.

"Calm down, Flower."

"No, Nate, fuck that! He's such a-- I mean, why would he-- Ughh, I can't stand him."

Our driver smirked and glanced back at me in the rearview mirror as he shook his head, pulling up to the party.

"You kids have fun, and be safe."

After thanking him, Nate and I hopped out of the car and stood together on the sidewalk, looking up at the house hidden behind the trees, where a thumping beat was playing.

My heart was racing and I was already a little buzzed when I finally turned my phone back on.

I shut it off when I skipped last period, knowing the second he didn't see me watching his practice or waiting by his car that Adam would instantly start blowing me up.

And, boy did he.

97 texts.

The messages began sweet enough, asking if I was gonna be at practice or in the library, then they began to escalate, ending with Adam calling me a bitch and saying there was no point in me even going to Callan's party.

As we entered the house, we could smell the weed wafting through the air, we could see topless girls running around in a makeshift foam pit, and we could hear the deafening beats vibrating through the speakers.

Callan sure knew how to throw a rager.

I felt my phone vibrating in my pocket and pulled it out just as we got to the kitchen.

The eye roll and sigh I let out made Nate arch his eyebrow, silently asking if everything was okay.

I nodded and threw him a fake smile before answering my phone.

"Hey, Adam."

"Where the fuck are you? And why weren't you waiting for me after practice? What the fuck, Jay?"

I rolled my eyes as I thought back on what Nate told me he heard Adam saying about me and I was completely over it.

"I just made it to Callan's... chill."

"Oh, chill?"

"Look, I can barely hear you and I--"

"Then bring your ass to the backyard and come find me."

"Whatever."

After hanging up, something inside me snapped and I was sick of everything I was putting up with dealing with Adam.

"Dick."

Nate cocked his head and his eyes scanned over me once again as I slid my phone into my back pocket.

"What's up, Flower? Everything okay?"

Instantly, a bright, fake smile was plastered on my face.

"Yup."

After taking a deep breath, I walked out to the backyard,  my eyes scanning the patio until they landed on Adam, who was sulking by himself.

I walked over with rage and adrenaline running through my body, which seemed to match Adam's energy.

"Adam, we nee--"

"What the fuck are you doing with him?"

I looked behind me, seeing nothing but hatred painted on Nate's face as he stared Adam down. I tugged on his shirt, catching his attention before I made a face.

"C'mon, Flower. There's no way you were coming over here by yourself."

Adam had an accusing glare on his face as he focused on me.

"Flower? Jay, what the fuck is this kid talking about?"

🖤