ch 5: nate

It's been almost two years since Sunny kissed me and I'm still not over it, so it's gotta be more than just a crush, right?

She's my best friend in the whole world and I never thought I could feel like this about her.

The 'Welcome Back' dance at our new school is coming up this Saturday, and I know this would be the perfect time to tell Sunny how I felt.

We're only three days into the new year and, still-- even at a new school-- a bunch of guys have already tried getting at her.

I know I need to say something soon; Flower's amazing, and everybody can already see that clearly.

I finally decided to tell her something on Wednesday at lunch and just as I was about to drum up the nerve to ask her, we were interrupted by some guy in our class.

"Sunny, hey! Can I sit here?"

"Yeah! Sure."

Mitchell Tatum.

He's one of the guys who's been hanging around a lot since we started school, and I knew it was only because of Sunny.

I sat there trying to count backward from 100 to diffuse my annoyance, but it wasn't working; why wouldn't Mitch go away?!

I just sat there and watched as he continued shameless flirting with Sunny, who surprisingly seemed to be buying into this guy's bullshit.

"So, Sunny, I was, uh, I- I was wondering if... maybeyouwantedtogotothedancewithme?"

"Sorry, Mitch... Flower's going with me."

Both Mitch and Sunny looked at me with different expressions on their faces: Mitch looked confused, while Sunny looked as pissed off as I was.

"Flow- Flower?"

"I'm the only one who calls her that."

I threw an arm over her shoulder and pulled her in a bit protectively while I glared at Mitch, hoping he'd finally get the message.

"I thought you guys were just friends..."

"Yeah, well-- we're going. Soooo...."

I gave him a look to let him know it was time for him to leave and once we were alone at the table, Sunny yanked my arm from around her shoulder and gave me a look that let me know she wasn't very happy.

"What the hell was that, Nathan?"

🖤