ch 25: nate

As I stepped out of my Camaro on the first day of my senior year, I was instantly surrounded by students.

I waved and high-fived my way through the crowd until I finally reached Spencer, who was standing with a few other members of the football team. We did our handshake and leaned in as the cheering seemed to get louder.

"Dude, this is nuts!"

"Welcome to senior year, O'Connell! Now, let's get our asses inside."

I was sitting in second-period History, waiting for the bell to ring when Mariah Porter walked up.

"Hey, Nate."

"Mariah, hey. What's up?"

She snagged a spot in the desk next to mine, turning in her seat to face me. I could tell she had pulled her tank top down, giving me a better glimpse at her chest.

"Ya know, I never did get that dance from you at your party."

I looked up from the top of her lacy blue bra, barely showing under her black tank top, and when I looked up, her forest-green eyes were flickering back at me.

"Guess I owe you one."

She shifted in her seat a little, batting her eyelashes at me while she twirled a lock of her blonde hair around her finger.

"So how was your summer? Train hard at football camp?"

I was about to reply, but neither her question nor the way she pouted her lips were enough to keep my attention away from the front door.

Sunny had just walked in, and everything else in the room, including Mariah, faded away.

My heart felt like it was going to beat out of my chest and I could barely breathe.

I gave her a little grin as I turned towards where she was sitting on my left, seemingly blocking out Mariah.

"Nate, oh my God! I've been looking for you all morning!"

She practically sat in my lap to greet me and I felt like I was on cloud nine that morning and all day. Since it was the first day of school, it was a half-day.

I knew Sunny had her audition thing later, and I knew it was a big deal for her.

🖤