ch 28: nate

"Alright, Spence. I'll see you tomorrow. And none of them better forget, practice in the morning. I want all those guys on the field by daybreak."

"Aye, aye captain."

Spencer gave me a little salute, making me shake my head as he pulled out of the parking lot.

We had just finished our last full practice before our season opener tomorrow night, and I wanted this season to go on as one of the school's most dominant.

I was loading my gear into my trunk when I heard groaning coming from behind me.

I turned and saw Mariah Porter, the captain of the cheer squad, struggling with a large mat.

Running over to help her, I grabbed the end she was dragging, easily hoisting it up.

"Need some help?"

"Thanks, Nate. I appreciate it."

"No problem."

I helped her carry the floormat over to the equipment shed and as she closed the door, I leaned back on it to shut it.

"So, how's the squad looking this year?"

"The girls this year are a really fun bunch. What about you guys? How's the team?"

"Looking pretty strong, I'd say."

She smirked and gently poked me in the chest, bouncing in her step as she looked up at me.

"Well, with you leading them, I have no doubt that we'll be cheering you guys on to another championship, that's for sure."

We walked back over to the student parking lot, chit-chatting about the things we were gonna do during our senior year.

Aside from being the cheer captain, Mariah was a member of the newspaper staff and also a member of the social committee, the organization that planned every single school event.

Mariah was a real go-getter, and I admired her ambition.

"Well, I should get going."

Mariah and I had been talking near my car for a little while, and time had honestly gotten away from me.

"Oh, yeah. Your dad's playing tonight, right?"

"Yeah, I promised I'd make it for at least the last quarter."

She nodded knowingly and exhaled cheerfully.

"Well... have fun and I'll see you tomorrow, yeah?"

After a quick hug, she turned to head for her own car and I couldn't help but smile, watching as she energetically bounced over to her car.

I got to the arena and still had the same smile on my face, standing on the sidelines.s as I thought about Mariah.

No other girl except Sunny had ever made me feel this way and I had to admit... It was cool.

Did you make it to the game? I can hear the stadium cheers all the way from my house.
-M

Yeah, I made it. It's crazy being here live, trust me!
-N.

TFTI 🙄
-M.

You should come next time. They have a game here next Sunday. Come with me?
-N.

Like a date?
M.

I hesitated for a moment before smirking and responding.

Sure. So, Sunday?
-N.

It's a date!
-M.

The grin on my face couldn't falter and I was on cloud nine until the moment when Sunny broke my concentration, waving in my face as she screamed my name.

"Huh?"

"Dude, the game's over."

"Oh, yeah. Good game."

She looked at me funny before looking back at the scoreboard then back at me.

"Good game? They barely won by a field goal. Where's your head at tonight Nate?"

"Nowhere."

I shrugged and off her question, walking past her to exit the arena.

I don't know what happened or why, but suddenly I was pissed at the way her eyelashes would slowly bat towards me, knowing she didn't mean it.

I was tired of falling for the girl who was never going to fall back.

I was tired of being the safe choice.

🖤