ch 8: tristan

I ran as fast as I could out of my room, knowing exactly where the person I needed to talk to would be.

He was in his home office, glancing at something on his computer when I barged in.

"Is it true?"

He sighed and pulled off his glasses, lacing his fingers together on his desk as he looked up at me.

"Is what true?"

"Stylez on Sports just reported that for the first time in eleven years, the Prescott/ O'Connell tandem was splitting up. They're... the Prescotts are going to LA?!"

"Well, as players, it's time for us to grow and see what else is--"

"That's bullshit."

"Tristan..."

I rarely saw my Dad get this angry; he's where I get my temper, but he's learned to control his over the years.

I wasn't in the mood to deal with him and there was only one thing I actually wanted to do.

After grabbing my board and skating the short distance in our gated community to the house I'd skated to a thousand times. After punching in her code, I ran around the back, snuck in, and ran up the backstairs to her room.

Walking in completely broke my heart: my Bunni was laying across her bed absolutely bawling. What hurt worse was seeing her clutching onto Yerdle, the turtle I got for her for Christmas one year.

Each turtle had a turtle-referencing name, and she had no idea that I knew each one by name.

"Bun... I heard...".

She turned and saw me and it was like the last two and a half days of her being mad at me went away, just like they always did.

She fit in my arms like the other piece to a puzzle.

She was my other piece.

And now she was leaving.

When she pulled back, I didn't care about the wet spot on my shirt; all that mattered was the fact that I wouldn't get to see my Bun everyday.

She shook her head, pushing me away and suddenly, it's like she was mad at me all over again.

"Don't act like you care all of a sudden, Tristan."

I looked into those doe-brown eyes and the stab-in-the-gut feeling I was experiencing was one that I had caused. After years of teasing and picking on her, all of the time I spent pushing her away was what was going to make her hate me forever.

"What?! Come on, Bunni. You know I lo--"

I caught myself before I said anything.

Saying anything now would be a waste of time. Sunny--my Bunni-- was leaving.

Instead, I ruffled her hair and pulled her in for a single-arm hug.

"I'll miss you, Kid."

"Sunflower? You okay in there, Babygirl?"

She pulled back for a second and I was grateful her door had been locked. She looked up at me with that helplessly innocent look on her face as she began yelling.

"Yeah, Daddy... just taking a nap. My head still hurts."

My jaw clenched, knowing how Sunny got migraines when she cried and how bad they hurt. If staying any longer caused her more pain, I wasn't gonna do that.

After leaving a bruising kiss on her forehead, I waited a moment to give her father enough time to walk away before sneaking down the back hall once again.

I had to be careful but took an extra moment as I was leaving the Prescott house for the final time to take a look a look around, harnessing as many memories as I could before I left.

🖤

𝕊𝕠, 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕨𝕒𝕤 𝕋𝕣𝕚𝕤𝕥𝕒𝕟 𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕔𝕥𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕥𝕠 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕞𝕠𝕧𝕖.

ℍ𝕠𝕨 𝕕𝕠 𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕜 ℕ𝕒𝕥𝕖'𝕤 𝕘𝕠𝕟𝕟𝕒 𝕥𝕒𝕜𝕖 𝕚𝕥?