Chapter 11

Ayumi's P. O. V:

Sakura and I were sent to guard Tazuna while he works on his bridge today, since we were the ones who'd finished training earlier, while Naruto and Sasuke continued.

Later that evening, I sit in between Naruto and Kakashi as we eat dinner. It wasn't a big meal, considering the town has less food due to Gato.

Tazuna chuckles, "Hehehe! Hey, this is fantastic! It's been ages since we've had so many guests around our table."

Sakura and I eat much calmer than Naruto and Sasuke, who are wolfing their food down like it's a contest.

Sakura and I look at them in annoyance as both boys hold up their bowls and call, "I want some more!!"

They glare at each other before turning around and vomiting it back up, onto the floor.

Sakura and I snap in irritation as we jump to our feet and slam our hands on the table, "Don't eat so much if you're gonna puke it up!"

I add to the Uzumaki, "And, Naruto, you're lucky you didn't get that all over my feet."

He looks fearful at my dangerous glare, and Kakashi chuckles sheepishly

Sasuke groans, "I... have to eat!"

Naruto says determinedly, "And I have to eat more than him! It's the only possible way I'll get strong enough to beat him."

I plop back down on my seat as Kakashi says with a nod, eyes closed and arms crossed, "That's true, but puking won't help you."

When we finish dinner, Naruto and I finish off our tea as Sakura stands at the wall beside the door to the dining and kitchen, hands behind her back as she gazes at a picture of Inari, his mother, grandfather and a man who's head had been torn out of the picture.

I've noticed it as well, but I didn't bother asking about it.

Sakura says as Tsunami washes up, "Excuse me, this picture is torn. Is there some reason for that?" Sakura looks to Inari questioningly as she adds, "Inari, you kept glancing at it all through dinner. It looks like there was someone else in the picture, but they got torn out. I mean, that's kind of strange, isn't it?"

Inari, Tazuna and Tsunami stiffen as they gasp.

Kakashi looks at them questioningly.

Tsunami says without looking back at us, "It's my husband."

Tazuna says gravely, "They used to call him a hero in this land."

With his bucket hat hiding his eyes, Inari swings off his chair and stalks from the room. Tsunami turns as she asks him, turning off the water, "Inari, where are you going?" The boy doesn't answer as he's already out the door. Tsunami races to the door but pauses with her hand on the knob to glance back at Tazuna, scolding him, "Father, you can't talk about him in front of Inari. You know that!"