Chapter 37

Ayumi's P. O. V:

As I wait for the medics to return, I sing to pass the time, and Kiba just watches me with that awed expression. The Preliminaries would've ended a long time ago, and I wonder how Choji went with his match.

"Your voice is so pretty," Says Kiba, when I finish my recent song. I blush at his compliment.

"Th-Thanks," I stutter shyly. Akamaru barks at me and I gaze at him on Kiba's bed. I smile softly at him. I know I'm not really a dog person, but Akamaru is just too cute! I look up only to go rigid at how close Kiba is to me. He smiles at me, making my heart pound faster. "K-Kiba-kun?!"

"Strong, beautiful and a skilled medic. You truly are amazing, Yumi-chan," Je murmurs in a husky tone, making my face heat up more. My blue eyes widen when he starts to lean in more, our faces now only inches apart.

"K-Kiba-kun...!" I breathe out. Just when I think he's actually going to kiss me, I hear footsteps and the door sliding open. With a gasp, I shove Kiba back, my face crimson, and he staggers backward. Kiba chuckles, however, as he rights his footing, seeing my crimson face.

"We're going to move Lee to the hospital now. We could use your assistance, Ayumi," One of the medics tells me, and I nod, willing the redness in my face to go down. "As for you, Kiba, you can leave now."

She starts shoving him towards the door. "Okay, okay, lady! I'm going!" Kiba says in annoyance.

As the medic shoves him out, I notice he's left his jacket here. I grab it and head to the door. "Kiba-kun!" He pauses and turns to me, an eyebrow raised. "H-Here. Don't forget this." I hold up his black jacket.

Grinning, Kiba takes it as he says, "Thanks, Yumi-chan!"

"I'll see you tomorrow," I say before I shut the door and go to assist the medics in moving Lee.

🗡🗡🗡

I leave the hospital after getting Lee on a room and comfortable, stretching my arms. By now, the sun has gone down and the stars and moon were out.

"Man, it's been a long day! I wonder if Team Ten are at Yakiniku Q? I hope Choji didn't eat all of the meat!! I'm starving!" I say aloud to myself as I take off at a run for the barbecue place, dodging civilians. I soon see it in sight and dash inside, inhaling deeply. "Food!!"

"Choji! Don't eat those!" I hear Ino's voice scolding him as she slaps away his hand.

"Why not?!" He whines.

"Because! Those are for Yumi-chan when she gets here!" Ino says sternly. I turn my head to see her sitting beside Asuma, opposite Choji and Shikamaru.

"Who knows how long she'll be working on Lee for?! I'm sure Yumi-chan wouldn't mind..." Choji says as I quietly step up to their table.

"Yo! Whassup, guys?!" I greet, startling the Genin. Choji's hand freezes halfway to my share of short ribs.

"I wasn't about to eat your short ribs, Yumi-chan!" Choji exclaims, waving his hands about.

"Don't worry about it, but I am starving!!" I say as I slide in beside the Nara.

"Hey, how's Lee?" Asuma asks.

"He's doing a lot better now, but he'll need surgery," I answer, my grin fading a bit.

"You were incredible today, Yumi-chan," Says Ino, awe in her voice. "Even though we saw you about to cry, you kept it together and told Gai Sensei about Lee. Not to mention the way you helped him stop that sand."