Chapter 33: What Matters

(Y/n)'s P.O.V

Waking up for the second time today has finally caught up with me as I try to force myself to keep my eyes open and not fall back asleep. So when Mello offered to make some tea after the both of us got out of the bed, there were no objections on my part.

"It looks like things are beginning to fall in place" Mello tells me as he hands me my cup filled with a fragrant black tea, the hot steam rising from the cup as I carefully blow on the tea that is still too hot to drink. Mello didn't make any tea for himself and instead grabbed a chocolate bar from the refrigerator, typical. "Near is putting his final plan together" he clarifies before taking a seat beside me on the sofa, peeling back the silver foil to reveal his bittersweet addiction. Carefully, I sip the tea in my cup, the fact that he made it perfectly to my taste brings a smile to my face, just a little bit.

This news isn't good for us, however. Mello, Matt and I have been gathering information for over a month now but we've made no real breakthroughs, no moves yet. I suspected it was because Mello's began to take a more careful approach rather than his usually direct one. So far it's been paying off. But our final confrontation will certainly be anything but.

"What are we going to do?" I ask him, I can only hope Mello won't loose focus at this discovery, that Near is ahead of him once again. "I still haven't fit all the pieces together yet, we need a little more time." Mello tells me before taking a bite out of his chocolate bar. "Hal tells me Near's planning to confront Kira and the Task Force close to the end of January, so we still have time".

We still have time. That's a relief, but barely one month?

"That means we can't afford to take any more days off, we have to work harder". Mello informs me, his gaze is locked straight ahead. I figured he would say that.

So I guess this means... This whole investigation will be over in more or less than a month..? I can't tell if I'm glad or upset at the thought. It will end with either Near or Mello victorious... But... What if Kira outsmarts all of us? He's already bested L, what if...

"Why the long face?" I'm pulled away from my intrusive thoughts as Mello looks at me, seeming to notice my discomfort as I fiddle with the tea cup in my hands. "It's... Nothing" I dismiss his worries, "just thinking about how it'll feel to finally go home" I smile reassuringly.

No, Mello and Near are L's successors, Roger would always say they would surpass L, if.... They would work together rather than against each other. But I want to have faith in the both of them... I want to have faith in Mello.

"What are you going to do, Mell? You've been at this case for five years, are you going to finally settle back down in England once this is all over...?" I ask him. It's a question I've been wondering about for some time, since I've reconnected with him. The idea Mello may not come back to England is a possibility, and if he doesn't, could we even make a long-distance relationship work? The thought of only being able to see him through a phone screen and rarely in person isn't an idea I'm excited about. But I won't stop him from what he wants to do.

"I..." he trails off for a moment before picking his words back up, "I haven't really thought about it, I guess" Mello replies. "I've been on my own hunting for the notebook for so long, I don't even remember what an ordinary life is like, I used to think I would end up rotting away in a prison cell somewhere for whatever was left of my life so I try not to think too far ahead. You never know when your own fate is out of your own control".