Chaptet 44: Alone With You [Pt 1]

(Y/n)'s P.O.V

I am unsure of how much time has passed, a few minutes? A few hours? I don't care all that much, my eyes remain shut as Mello's chest rises and falls slowly in rhythm with his breathing. Listening to his heart beating always makes me feel at ease in such a way I have never felt before.

Is it because it reminds me that he's here with me, alive? That when the day finally comes when he's no longer here, I will never hear this sound again..?

Words have not been spoken for a while now, I'm beginning to wonder if Mello had fallen asleep underneath me. I open my eyes and turn my head ever-so-slowly to see his messy blond hair strung about, how did it get like that? His eyes are calm and his mouth is slightly agape, as I listen closer I can hear the soft snores coming from him. He's definitely asleep.

Admiration is something I always feel for him, this time is no different. I've never known anyone else who appears so feminine, yet their actions can't be any more masculine. His arms are thin yet firm. As I feel boredom begin to trouble me, my fingers slowly trail down his arm, although I can't see it, I can feel muscle underneath his soft skin. When my fingers could no longer travel down, I turn my fingers back into the direction they had come from, trailing up until they touch his shoulders where the ends of his hair rests.

As I feel a stir from beneath me, I freeze in place. Watching his face contort for a moment before returning to his previous expression. I silently breath a sigh of relief before carefully lying my head back down on his chest as my eyes remain open.

It's dark now, the room that was once coloured in bold, warm colours have faded into shades of blue as it illuminates the lightly-coloured wallpaper in the apartment. Even after the day is over, the city is still very much alive, in the distance are the sounds of traffic and some voices and laughter that can be heard coming from the other apartments beside us.

I feel another stir, I keep myself as still as possible until I hear a raspy voice whisper to me, "hey". Turning my head to face him, I chuckle under my breath as I reply to his very short sentence, "hey, sleepyhead".

Breathing in sharply, he breaths out a long exhale. "How long was I out for..?" The tired blond asks me, seemingly noticing the interior of the apartment swallowed in darkness. Slowly, and carefully, I lift myself up off of Mello to sit on the other end of the sofa. "I'm not sure" I answer him, my eyes turning into the direction of the window to the balcony where the lights from the other buildings illuminate the apartment.

After a few moments, Mello finally sits up opposite to me as his eyes follow mine. Both of us are fixed on the bright lights from the other building like moths entranced by a flame. Starting out, until I find my eyes slowly guiding themselves back to Mihael.

Mihael... I'm still not used to knowing that is his real name, although I'm not supposed to know it in the first place. it's best not to get used to it, in case I slip up... We can never be too cautious.

It takes me a moment to notice Mello's eyes are staring right back at mine, catching me red-handed. Blushing with embarrassment, I tear my eyes away from his own blue irises back towards the window, pretending that I wasn't just starting at him for who knows how long.

There was a brief moment of silence before I could almost feel Mello's smirk from beside me, forcing me to turn back to look at him. "Hmm..?" I hummed, feigning ignorance. He doesn't say anything right away, as his head comes to rest in the palm of his hand as the city's glow illuminates his face.  "You have something on your mind?" The curious blond asks me, as I look into his eyes that almost seem as if they are glowing in the city lights, they hold an emotion I can't quite read.