Chapter 40: Old Wounds [Pt 3]

3rd Person's P.O.V

With an exhausted sigh, the caregiver zipped the empty suitcase closed and pushed it under the bed against the wall before she lifted herself up onto her feet. She turned around to face Mello sitting on the side of his bed. "If you need anything else or if you have any question, come see me or the other caregivers" the woman smiled before walking towards the door leading out into the hallway, before she could leave however. Mello asks her a question.

"Why do I have to share with someone else?" He asked her, his eyes shifted over to the bed he noticed earlier pushed into the other corner of the room. Various toys lie on the floor while most were packed away in a small, wooden box at the end of the bed. What caught Mello attention the most however were the odd, black and white puzzles strung about on the other side of the room. Some of the monochrome pieces were complete while others were still in progress. His eyes drifted into the corner of the room where several empty puzzle boxes were being huddled together, some boxes read 100 piece puzzles, others read 500, but Mello was surprised to see a few 1000 piece puzzle boxes too.

Mello couldn't help but wonder if this is the standard for Wammy's house, or if this kid was simply above the rest. Only time would tell.

"We just don't have the space for everyone to have their own rooms, I'm afraid" the caretaker explained to him. Mello felt a little agitated at her words, however. He hated the other kids in the Coventry Orphanage, but at least he didn't have to share his room with them, although the rooms were smaller.

"Your new roommate is a quiet boy who likes to keep to himself, he won't give you any trouble" she assures the blond with a gentle smile before taking her leave, gently closing the door behind her and leaving Mello alone in this strange, new environment.

Lying down on the bed, Mello closed his eyes for a moment, feeling tired after driving from Coventry all the way to Winchester. When all of the sudden, the sounds of children running and squealing down the hallway outside of his room made the blond groan in frustration, grabbing the soft, cotton pillow and pulling it over his head in an effort to drown out the aggravating sounds of the outside.

Suddenly, Mello pulled his head out from underneath the pillow after he heard the bedroom door open. In the doorway was a boy around his own age with messy, white hair and a white, long sleeve button-up shirt with white pants to match. 'Is he the kid that caretaker was talking about earlier?' Mello wondered.

"Why are you crying?" The strange boy asked in a quiet voice holding very little emotion. Mello stared at him, the absurdity of his question however makes the blond sit up faster than he ever had before and messing up his hair in the process. "Wha-?! No! What makes you think I was crying?!" Mello asked the boy aggressively as he walked inside, closing the door behind him.

"When people bury their heads under a pillow, it's usually because they're crying" the boy tells Mello before he sits on the floor where his puzzles lie, picking up a piece before placing it in the right place in the puzzle, followed by another piece, and another... And another...

A long, agonising silence hung in the air between the two before the boy with the white hair spoke up, "what's your name anyway..?" He asked, Mello turned his head to face the boy again. "Why do you care?" Mello asked, despite not having the greatest first impression, the blond kept his calm. "We're going to be staying in the same room, it's only natural we should learn each other's name" The white-haired boy continues piece by piece, "is it not?".

"Then... Tell me your name first" Mello demanded as he watched the boy's movements, his fingers grab one final piece to the puzzle as his eyes turn to look up at Mello. "My name is Near" the white-haired boy introduced himself as he placed down the final piece of the puzzle.