CHAPTER 28

And when I'm gone just carry on go on rejoice every time you hear the sound of my voice
Just know that I'm looking down at you smiling
And now that I don't feel a thing so baby don't feel no pain just smile back

"Dad .. I know that you can hear me" I call out to nobody in the woods near the river. It's the same place Vally had taken me that night. I seem to be finding closure and peace here and that's why I chose to come here.

Looking at the night sky with its full moon and starts giving it light and clouds moving I take a deep breath.

"Ever since you passed on I would speak to you. You promised to never leave my side so everyday I would tell myself that you taking a nap. I would hope that you.." tears that I've been holding run down my cheeks.

I have to do this, I remind myself. I can't afford another breakdown. Wiping my tears I take a deep breath. "I would hope that you would give me your best smile like you always did. I would yearn for you to call me darling angel one last time"

"Whenever I did well I would talk to you. Whenever I wasn't feeling okay I would tell you. Everything I felt I would call out to you. Mom and step Dad would think I'm crazy but I knew that you celebrated with me on my happy days l. I knew that you picked me up when I was down. Talking to you even though no response I knew you were there with me..."

Taking out my dad's photo and a lighter. I take one more last look at it. His blue ocean eyes, his blonde hair , his smile. I'm going to miss him so much. I put my thumb on his hand and give the picture one last kiss. "I know this is always what you wanted , for me to forget you because there is no coming back and that this too shall pass"

Lighting the picture I throw it on the floor. "So this is it. Your last wish.... goodbye father" and with that I watch it turn to ashes.

"Hey you okay?" A voice calls from behind me. Realising who it is I wipe my tears and turn to face the intruder. "It's going to be okay" Vally pulls me into his warm arms.

Just when I thought I could be strong tears roll down my cheeks. "Thats okay. Let it all out" he says while rubbing my back as I pour my heart out in his arms.

"Why does it have to be so hard ?" I ask him. He hugs me tighter. "It's hard at first but I promise the results are all worth it" he says.

Maybe his right. I can find peace and carry on with my life now. I no longer have to think about all the bad that has happened. My life will be filled with positivity all the way. Although it had to take a heartbreak for me to finally see the light. I am hoping for the best.

**** flashbacks ***

"I like the sunflowers papa" I tell him while plucking out the red roses.

Dad was always a Gardner. He loves his plants and Every Monday morning after work he would come home and water the plants. I would join him at times and that's when I started liking nature.

"I like lilies princess. What do I do now?" He asks me with a frown on his face. He then looks at the plants which we have grown together and then a smile comes on his face.

"Okay then I like sunflowers also" he says and peeks my nose putting a little mud on it.

"But daddy you don't have to like the same thing as I. It's okay if you don't like them" I say and look at him while picking up the big red jug filled with water.

"Oh my darling angel. You don't know that everything that you like is wonderful...that's Why I also like it cause if you like it then it's amazing which gives me more reason to like it" he shrugs his shoulder. I look at him as that sounded more like a riddle.

His phone rings and he answers it. The smile he had on his face changes to a worried one.

"Daddy is everything okay?" I ask him after he cuts the call and sits on the muddy floor.

"Daddy you messed your pants" I put my hand over my mouth and look at him.

"Its a mistake Brittney. Would you like some ice cream ?" He speaks after some time while looking at me and trying to smile.

I nod all happily and he smiles. I knew something was troubling him and he didn't want me to know. One day I went to his room and searched in his drawers.

I found a paper which dad was showing mom the other day. Whatever was written there caused mom to cry. "Brittney what are you doing?" Father asks me when he enters his room.

"Dad..Nothing" I say while putting the paper behind my back and walking slowly to the bed.
"You snooping around my things. That's being disrespectful darling angel" he says while also walking towards me.

He then grabs the paper away from me and his face changes. He sits down on the bed hopelessly as I join him. "Darling angel. I wanted to tell you but I just couldn't" he says staring into space.

I take his hand in mines and kiss them. He always loved it when I did that but now he never even notice that I did that. "I also couldn't believe it but now it's all true.. Don't hate me for hiding it from you cause I tried. I swear I tried telling you about it" he says.

"I'm going to leave you one day and will never come back". The paper from his hands drop to the floor. I don't understand what he meant by that. Dad always was out of town some days but he always came back.

"I'm sorry Brittney" those words meant something was wrong and that was the first time in my entire life that I had seen father cry.

"Why you here ?" I ask after pulling out of his warm hug.

H/ N : why do you think his there ??🤔

Please don't forget to share, vote and comment♥

Song: when I'm gone
Artist: Eminem