Tempting

The incompetent work of a lazy and self-important security officer had once again been manipulated. What passed for a security system was easily hack-able only surpassed by the in-actions of the staff that were hired to use it.  It hadn't been hard to infiltrate the building, not one little bit especially with money being no object and the officers pathetic behavior barely hurdle to overcome. There was really only one obstacle that The Man had faced during the entirety of the "mission" he had been assigned, one that he often faced, and one that he never enjoyed. Unlike the usual immoral work he was propositioned to do by his many wealthy and at times desperate clients this little blip often nagged at him, wrestling with his own mind, until it was once again it was put to rest. It's almost funny how such a simple concept as boredom could incite so much anger inside this man but with his line of work it was almost a give in, because  murders often take time and thoughtful planning. He had been waiting hours to make his carefully coordinated move and once he had, he felt swarmed with relief and happiness. For him it wasn't the felony he had just committed that he rejoiced in however, but the money, well that was a very different story.

He followed the directions carefully, ducking through a utility door in the back of the building then walking the half a mile to the check point. 

Once he arrived at the designated area he quickly found the disposable phone hidden right where he was told to look. 

There was only one number to call and so he does.

PHIL 

I feel utterly uncomfortable, the feeling not solely coming from the concrete floor. I feel regret and worry over my behavior . I'm not this person. I don't flirt with strangers, especially ones that work in such close proximity. Though I do find solace in the fact that she doesn't  work for me, my comportment being that of a college frat boy, I hope that I  can put this behind me and hopefully I can earn her forgiveness.

I can't tell if she too savored the silence or if it was a hindrance. I decide not to speak for a little while longer, if only to distract myself from the sinful thoughts of her.

My mind wonders to places it usually doesn't have the time to explore, at least not recently. Slowly it glides its way through a winding river of my past experiences, emotions, and people of importance. Every so often I hit a concrete dam of "bad thoughts" forcing myself to think of something pleasant, to overcome it.  

The waters quickly change
  What was previously calm and quiet now begins moving faster and faster as more unwelcoming thoughts make their way to the forefront of my mind.

Now more than ever I can feel the rock hard floor of the elevator as it starts to stiffen my already tired muscles. The soreness in my fingers from gripping the handle, then trying to pry to doors also is a minor irritation I wish I could be rid of.

The uncontrollable river is back this time carrying the most worriesome thought so far. 

What if this wasn't an accident?

How can it not be? How could someone plan for an elevator to break and guarantee that the person that is the next to get inside is who they are targeting?

I look to where I assume Kate still sits in the darkness, based solely off of her very quiet almost nonexistent breathing.

What if I'm not the target?

The waters kept rushing and rushing. I can barely keep my head above water. Unsuccessfully I try to convince myself that this is just an accident, that elevators breakdown all the time.

"Do you think this is an accident?" I ask her, trying to keep the waters at bay one of the only ways I know how.

"I thought about that too, but I think it's pretty likely."