Crazy Week

KATE
"Shes... what?" I asked almost too softly.

"I... I... I don't know... how. . When.." he muttered almost under his breath.

I could see him almost vibrating where he stood.

Though I could feel myself tensing up while a million things ran through my mind I calmed myself for him.

"You need to go the hospital." I say to him as he continues to shake. "You're in no condition to drive, come on, let me take you." I say grabbing his hand and pulling him back to the elevator.

Thankfully it got there quickly and we went on together.

It was as if he was a small child. He didn't speak, he didn't have an ounce of confidence, he just let himself be dragged behind me, his hand tightly clutched in mine.

I see that my car is closer and so I start guiding him that way. Thankfully he was well enough to sit himself down and buckle in.

Not 15 minutes later we were at the hospital and I pulled into the drop off area.

"Are you going to be ok going in alone?" I ask him seeing that he had started to gain some composure.

"Yes. I will be ok." He said though part of me didn't believe him.

"I will wait in the lobby and you can come and tell me whats going on as soon as you know. Ok?" I ask him now through the cars open window.

"Thats fine." He says before walking away from the car and inside through the hospitals doors.

PHIL

Why is all of this happening to me? In the matter of a week I find out not only am I a father of one but now soon to be a father of 3. Everything is going to be ok. Everything's ok. I keep repeating, trying my best to believe the lie.

"Hello.." I said to the receptionist, my voice almost cracking.

"Yes? Are you here to see someone or to be admitted?" She asked me looking me up and down, presumably for injuries.

"My wife, she was brought here by ambulance awhile ago."

"Ah yes, you must be Phil, Erica has been asking for you. She is in room 107 just down that hall you can't miss it." She says pointing to a hallway to her left.

My legs feel stiff and heavy as I walk down the hospitals hallways, the smell of antibacterials and disinfectant already giving me a headache. But then in what felt like seconds I reached her door and slowly opened it to see her reading a magazine inbetween the sheets of the hospital bed.

"Oh hey, yeah I'm fine. Just stressed out and stuff. Now come over here and give me a kiss." She says hearing me come in but not looking up from her magazine.

"I learn that YOU'RE PREGNANT OVER THE PHONE AND YOU TELL ME YOUR F'ING FINE AND YOU WANT A GOD DAMN KISS." I shout letting my nerves get the better of me.

Then she reflexively covers her mouth a wild expression over her face as if she wasn't expecting me or something....

"Phil, I'm so sorry. I'm just stressed and hurting and you know what happened last time. I wanted to tell you. I just didn't want you to get your hopes up again." She says instantly changing her entire demeanor. One minute fine and relaxed the next worried, and almost frantic.

"You're my wife." I say to her sitting on the edge of the bed and taking her hand, now feeling more calm.

"I will be ok, they say we will be ok." She says with the slightest of smiles, then looking to her belly.

It's happening. It's really happening! Three children! Two secret pregnancies! One unbelievable week!