Almost In Tears

ALEX

Before he even said a word I knew what was going to come out of his mouth.

"It's important that I tell you this even if you don't want to hear it." He says looking guilty.

"What is it?" I ask trying to sound innocent and slightly confused.

"Well." He says rubbing at the back of his neck, " I've met you before."

I give him a questioning look and then wait for him to continue.

"That day that Kate fainted at the hospital... I was the one that called you." He says his eyes on the floor.

And... I thought wishing he would continue.

"And... the reason I was there was because I was visiting a massage client there, the one other client I uh.. slept with." He was almost shaking.

I grabbed his hands in mine to try to calm him.

"The one you dated." I say nodding.

"Yeah. That one." He said still not making eye contact with me.

"Is she ok? Why does this matter now?" I ask him.

"It's about who that person is.. it's um. Um.. Phil's ex-wife." He said now actually shaking slightly were he stood. "But its over.. it has been over.. I just felt I should tell you before it got too wierd to not say anything."

I remember meeting him before he said anything. I remember him being the one to call me about Kate. I remember that he was the one that had punched Phil, but it wasn't until now that I remembered something else.

"Wasn't she pregnant?"

DEREK

I really wish that I didn't have to talk about all of this but being that I wanted a future with her I felt that I needed to.

"She was." I say finally looking into her mesmerizing eyes.

"And so shes about to have a baby?" She asked me acting more anxious than she had before.

I shook my head slowly from side to side.

"She lost it, miscarried."

"Oh I'm so sorry." She said hugging me close to her.

"She had told me at the beginning that she could lose it but when she actually did... it broke me." I say almost in tears.

"I'm sorry that all of that happened." She said into my shoulder. "But I am glad you told me about it."

Then she kissed my cheek swiftly and backed an arms length away from me.

"Wanna talk on the way to the new place?" She ask me while extending out her hand.

"Sounds like a plan." I say taking her hand in mine and squeezing it softly.