Help Me

PHIL

I walk up to Erica's room, not even sure if she will be awake. I feel now more than ever that this is my fault and that I owe her so much more than I have given her. I knew once I had explained all of this to the officers that Erica really needed support. It was as if talking about all of it to people that I didn't know personally, brought out the true undeniable facts about what Erica really done for us. I needed to thank her, right now, for her to somehow forgive me, it was a guilty itch that I needed so desperately scratched.

I walked the eerily empty halls cautious since I know it is very much past visiting hours, so technically I shouldn't be here at all. I continue to sneaked through the hallways but then I could have sworn I heard nurses coming. I rapidly ducked into a nearby hospial room, leaving the door open but hiding behind it.

"Isn't this like a crime?" I heard one of the men ask.

I could hear the wheels of a gurney being pushed by them and assumed that someone was on it, obviously asleep or knocked out.

"Ben doesn't pay you to ask questions, he pays you to do what you are told." Another man says just above a whisper.

I could hear the wheels turning again as they grew louder getting closer and closer to the room I was hiding in. I also heard a snore but that was from the patient behind me that I hope doesn't notice my presence.

"Sorry, I just a have a family. I thought all he wanted was protection." The first man says now whispering too.

The gurney was passing me now so I hid even more into the room but still hoping to hear what they are saying.

"Well we have to get her back to where she belongs, then we can.."

"LOOK! NO! I CAN'T DO THIS!" The man says raising his voice.

"Sorry, but you know what happens if you don't." The man pleads as if he didn't want to do it either.

Then everything was quiet, no more talking, no slightly squeaking wheels, just the soft snoring of the patient not three feet away from me.

They were at the elevator, I even peeked to check. If these were the same men that were at the cabin then they are armed. I couldn't just make a scene in the middle of the hospital where just anyone could be hurt. I hear the elevator ding and I start to panic.

What do I do?

Who do I protect?

KATE

After nearly two months of restless and practically nonexistent sleep I actually woke up after nearly nine hours, feeling absolutely relaxed, knowing that there wasn't much to worry about at the present moment.

I'm not pregnant dealing with the abundance of odd pregnancy symptoms, Phil isn't in danger, I am not in danger, and neither is Derek or Alex. I could now finally have some peace.

I could hear the laughter of young children down the hall and Tara Mae's voice calling after them.

I stretched out my sore muscles with a smile as I hear Trevor playing witb other children his age. The hospital bed caused so many knots I could swear that that is all my back is made up of at this point, but I knew a warm bath is all that I would need to at least temporarily remove some of my discomfort. After that I knew I should make some time to be with the children and Tara Mae.

It was just as I was about to get into the shower, the water already running, that there was a firm knock at my door.

It was too precise to be from a child so I figured that I should answer it.