Kismet Course

KATE

I hadn't meant to sound so mean or aggressive I just couldn't help myself. Being under so much pressure and feeling so many unfamiliar things it was changing me.

"I'm sorry I yelled at you. I didn't mean it." I said trying my best to sound remorseful.

"I understand. I have been through this before." Phil says trying to reassure me.

My body unexpectedly jerked at his words and as I thought them through I figured out why.

"I mean..." Phil says slightly flustered.

"I know what you meant." I say with a slight smile creeping up over my lips then immediately disappearing. "We can't pretend you don't have another family. They are the reason I wanted to avoid all of this."

"They mean a lot to me and though I may never told you, you meant a lot to me too. You changed me, Kate. You made me a better person. You made me realize that life is short and that one night can change your life. It made me realize what a horrible place I was in with my wife and why our marriage counseling hadn't been working. Even before meeting you I thought my marriage was over. I thought that my wife didnt loved me anymore, then you made me realize something, she was turning to money instead of to me. In her mind spending money and obsessing about her looks was her way of getting my attention."

"I really am glad that everything worked out with you. We made a mistake. We were in a confined space, scared out of our minds that something was going to happen to us and we turned to each other for comfort. Had you been single we probably would still be together but that is not what life had in store for us. Things happened how they were supposed to happen and I truly believe that."

"I don't agree. I don't believe you were meant to hide this from me for this long. How does that seem right to you? How can that be the way things were supposed to be?"

"Let's say I had told you right away. Would you still have been able to repair things with your wife? Would you have actually realized all of the things you did and made your life better? I don't think you would have. You would have been too focused on me to deal with any of that. I am fine, and so is she." I say slowly rubbing my belly.

I could tell he was in deep thought for his eyes trailed around the room and his fingers danced on the table.

"Have you two decided what you would like to have?" The waiter asked pleasantly.

"I will have the special." Phil says with an almost fake smile.

"That sounds good I will have that too, and if you don't mind could you remove the mushrooms." I say with an almost identical fraudulent grin.

"Of course." He says as he removes our menus from the table.

"Everything will be alright." I say.

PHIL

Her smile told me everything I needed to know, at least for now, that she was okay.

"So have you seen her?" I ask outwardly curious.

"Seen who?" she asks furrowing her brow. "Oh you mean her."

She first withdraws her wallet from her purse and then takes out a photo, one that will change my life forever.