At All

KATE

Not wanting to bother Phil I decided not texting him would be the best bet. He could be with police officers being interrogated or worse and I didn't want him to be worrying about me on top of everything else. I knew once they could that Derek and Alex would tell him my whereabouts.

It was an hour and a half cab ride, about what I had expected, but after I decided that talking wasn't what I wanted to do the ride became slower and slower. The cabbie just seemed too eager to gossip and once he started talking about past riders I knew I should shut my mouth, more publicity is the last thing Phil or any of us need at the moment and if this cabbie knows who we are all of this could look very bad.

I also decided against texting Alex or Derek, which was also hard being that usually I talk to Alex about anything and everything, especially lately. She has been there for me more times then I can count and though I know I desperately need her support I also know that part of me needs to figure out some of this alone.

I finally arrived back at home a little past 9, just as the sky was growing dark any later and I might not have noticed them. Two men sat in a patrol car in the front of my house and as soon as I made eye contact they waved me over.

I had no choice but to walk to their car and talk to them, even though I wish I didn't have to.

"You're Kate." The man firmly stated through the passenger side window, sounding very sure of himself.

"Yes. I am." I answer back eyeing his gun that rested on his lap secured in a black holster.

"Glad to see you out of the hospital. We have 24/7 surveillance on your place of residence as per the orders of our boss, chief of this county. For your safety we ask that you don't venture out too often from your home at this time, for we are only allowed to protect your home and it's occupants. Here are our numbers if there is ever an emergency call this number and if we don't answer immediatly call 911." He said looking me dead on.

"I understand." I answer robotically, so tired I almost felt soberly drunk.

"Good. Thank you." He answered back. Then he just simply rolled up his window and began talking to the officer beside him leaving me to walk back to the front of my house, actually feeling somewhat relieved.

ALEX

"Kate, did you get home alright?" I asked her, calling her immediately after we got to our room using the hotels phone, mine being submerged somewhere in the creek, but thankfully I memorized her new home phone number.

"Yes I'm fine, but I'm not who I'm worried about, did Phil get arrested? Is he okay?" She asked already sounding panicked.

"He's fine. He was not arrested they just wanted to ask us all some questions." I say in my calmest voice possible.

In the corner of my eye I catch Derek waving at me for my attention. He then starts pointing to his new swim shorts and I give a nod.

"So they asked you guys questions too. I shouldn't have left. I should come back and bring Nora and..."

"Kate. Kate. This is the moment." I said, then immediatly I could hear her take a deep heavy breath and breathe it out.

"Thanks Alex. That "moment" thing really works." She says already sounding a little more relaxed.

"Good. I'm glad. And Kate you are right where you should be, with your baby daughter. Remember now it isn't just your life that is in your hands, it's hers too and you need to put her needs above yours."