The Cab

ALEX

I handed him his phone and he gives me a sympathetic look, one I tried to ignore.

"The cab is here Mrs." The hotel worker said to me, again flashing his smile.

I look out to the front of the hotel and see the yellow taxi parked just outside the door. I catch Derek's gaze as he too eyes the cab. As much as I didn't want to spend the next hour riding beside him I knew I didn't have much of a choice in the matter.

I wait back as Derek hands the hotel employee his key card and cancel the rest of the nights at the room. He follows me to the cab and site beside me in the backseat. It wasn't a minute later that we drove off into the night.

About 15 minutes into the drive and Derek started talking and couldn't stop, but it wasn't with me. The driver happily joined into the conversation, probably happy for the distraction.

"My feet would hurt from driven so much." Derek said.

"Two words, cruise control, without it I'm not sure I could get through one day. " He said with a chuckle.

I eyed Derek subtly, making sure he didn't notice. I could see his sculpted muscles under his shirt, his body still damp from swimming. He smelt of pure chlorine which was now enveloping the entire backseat but I pretended not to notice. As he spoke with the driver he would glance at me and smile but I couldn't get myself to smile back.

It was more than just the fact that he lied to me, or rather to all of us, that upset me it, was the fact that his actions could have put us in danger. Though his actions probably didn't contribute to anything that happened, we can't be 100 percent positive that they didn't. I, like most millenials, have an almost addiction to my cell phone. But when it was chosing between my safety and a hunk of expensive circuit boards I chose wisely, and he well didn't make the same choice that I did.

Then I thought back to the cabin. We had to leave the safety of the panic room for the charger for Phil's phone, if Derek had his cell was that risk even necessary?

"Where did you keep the phone when we were at the cabin?" I asked, not really paying attention to what they had been talking about. Now I am sure I interrupted something, but I don't really care.

"I had it turned off and I kept it in our bedroom." He answered back reaching for my hand but I pulled mine away.

"When did you grab it?" I asked scooching as close to the door as I could.

"On our way out the door." He said with a small frown.

"Alright." I said moving trying to make myself more comfortable.

I wanted to trust him again. I wanted to put all of this behind us.

I reached my hand over and rested it on his.

"I love you Alex, and I will do everything I can to earn your trust back."

I nod as my eyes never leave the passenger seat in front of me, knowing that I still love him too.

DEREK

I wanted to pull her close to me. I wanted everything bad to be forgotten and for things to go back to how they were before my trust was lost. I wanted to tell her that I loved her over and over again as if repeating it meant I mean it more. I know forgiveness takes time, but I desperately hoped that she could be back in my arms soon.

Even though our palms were now wet with sweat I didn't dare let go of her soft hand that she so delicately placed in mine. It was the first small sign that I hoped would lead to several more in the way of future happiness with us.