Great Astonishment

PHIL

I had spent not one, but four hours with my son and it felt amazing. It wasn't often that I had alone time with him.

"Hey daddy, do you have the red crayon?" He asked me as he sat in his booster seat at the dining room table beside me.

"Why yes I do." I say with a bright smile. "Or wait at least I did, where did it go?" I asked playfully.

"Daaaad." He said giving me a silly look, "its right behind your ear."

"Oh, now what could it be doing there." I said happily as I handed it to him.

Then as he took it from me I began watching him. He had started drawing a picture with from what I could tell contained several different people.

"Who's that?" I asked him seeing that it kind of resembled a person on the ground.

He answers, his eyes not leaving the paper. "Oh that's the baby."

KATE

It was nearly an hour later when I could finally take my lunch break and it was another 20 minutes back to my place.

Alex's car was again parked in my driveway and as I pulled in beside her I saw two laundry baskets full of folded clothes.

"So what is going on?" I asked her from the doorway as I let myself inside. "Why did I need to rush home so quickly and ---" I didn't even finish speaking, I couldnt, I was truly baffled by what took up the majority of my living room.

"What in the HELL!" I yelled to no one in particular.

"You're telling me." Alex says, now walking from the kitchen a can of unopened soda in her hand.

"At first I thought you had maybe ordered things online, but then things just kept coming and coming... the ups guy was here for almost 15 minutes unloading everything." She said popping the tab on her pop and taking a long pull.

"Does it at least say who they are from?" I asked her, trying my best not to yell.

"Do you really have to guess?" She asked me, giving me her signature look.

"Phil." I said.

"Phil." She repeated.