She's Pregnant

ERICA

With the radio blaring a little too loudly I made my way down the highway. Rush hour was finally over and the cars where thankfully thinning out, leaving me to speed in the fast line without a care in the world.

Then their were sirens. Red, blue, red blue. I hadn't been speeding that much right? I really don't want another ticket on my record, considering how much crap I got for the last one.

I almost too gently pulled over to the side of the road and once I was safe on the shoulder, I poked myself roughly in one eye. It was a trick, a painful trick, one that my brother taught me when I was younger. "It will make you almost instantly cry, just don't ever use it on me, I will know" my brother once said.

I didn't use it all too often but there were times, like now, that it came in handy.

"Do you know why I---" he asked me through my window not finishing his sentence.

"Miss is there something wrong, whats going on?"

I faked gaged and clutched my stomach almost too roughly making it obvious so he could see.

"Miss we need to get you to a hospital." He said then he started to speak into his radio.

"I'm pregnant, somethings wrong" I said loudly enough for him to hear in a voice that could even fool my brother.

"Help is on the way." He said after again talking into his radio.

Before I knew it I was in the back of an ambulance on the way to the hospital, with two paramedics, one driver and an officer in tow.

Now I wish I had just gotten the ticket.

PHIL

I couldn't help myself. It was as if our lips were intense magnets, only at peace when together.

Then we heard someone. Someone about to enter the elevator. We both quickly seperated and stood as far apart as we could from one another.

An elderly woman rode the elevator up with us to the lobby and we all exited quickly.

"Look, Kate." I said reaching for her hand then stopping myself for there were several people around.

Then I heard my phone ringing loudly from my pocket.

I mouthed "hold on" to Kate and she stood beside me while I reached for my phone.

"Memorial Hospital" read out on the caller I.D.

"Its the hospital." I said to Kate now feeling worried.

I answered the call already feeling frantic.

"Is this Phil? Erica's wife?" They asked me.

"Yes." I hurriedly replied.

"Your wife was just admitted to our hospital it would best if you could make your way down here."

"Is she.... is she ok." I barely got out.

"It's her pregnancy, she was in pain while driving. Shes getting checked out now. Please come as soon as you can." Then the line went dead.

"Phil, Phil. Is everything alright?" Kate asked seemingly very worried.

"It's Erica." I said in a whisper. "She's.... She's..."

"Is she ok?" She asked now almost shaking.

"She's pregnant." I say seemingly in a daze.