Different Plans

KATE
Her car was already pulled into my drive way when I got home, so it was with a small smile that I pulled in beside her.

The door was unlocked so I let myself in suddenly feeling utterly exhausted.

"So you have to tell me what happened." Alex says as I enter the living room.

I noticed she was reading my magazine and normally I would rather talk about anything in there than have to discuss what had happened today, but with Alex it was different. She is my best friend and I could tell her anything.

"Uh, I wish I could have coffee." I say under my breath.

"What?" She asks.

"Coffee, I crave it." I say with a laugh.

"Just a few more months and promise me you will live off of the stuff." She says still seated on the couch.

After I place my bag down near my bedroom door I sit in my brown lounge chair and try my best to get comfortable, something I have found to be very hard to achieve lately.

"Well, you were there." I say still feeling uncomfortable.

"Yeah, we were going to have lunch and right as I saw you I noticed Phil standing beside you, then you practically ran out of there." She says sounding slightly confused.

"I haven't seen him, since, well you know when. I think he knew once he saw me that I am pregnant. I mean hes seen it before." I copied Phil's words them leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

"Yeah, he has a son, right?" She replies.

"And a wife..."

"So what happened after I saw him running after you, he didn't hurt you or anything did he?"

"No, he's not like that. He caught up with me outside and eventually we went to have lunch and had quite a few conversations about her." I said as I rubbed my belly.

"Does he want custody?" She asked.

"He didn't say that, he said he wanted to be a part of her life, he actually called her and I, family, it was wierd."

"Well hate to break it to you but she is his family." She says in her best sympathetic voice.

"I know, but to hear him say it, after months of doing this alone.."

"Ahem." She coughed fakely.

"You know what I mean. You are more family to me than he is he didn't even know about her until today."

"Kate, I don't want to hurt your feelings but that is kinda your fault."

I hated to agree with her. Part of me knew that I should have told him sooner.

"Well he knows now." I said after finally finding a comfortable position.

"Do you want me to make some dinner?" She asks.

"Why don't we just order a pizza I can break my diet one night don't ya think?" I say desperately craving some cheese.

"Whatever the pregnant lady wants the pregnant lade gets." She teased.

It wasn't something I would ever say but apparently that is what her brother in law said quite often.

"How is your nephew anyway?" I ask taking a glass of water she had offered me and then nearly gulping it all down.

"He's good, he's almost 6 months now. I swear I've never heard them call him by his real name, only peanut."