Anxiety

KATE

I have never felt so much anxiety. Never in my life have I ever fainted from stress, not even when I had been trapped inside the elevator.

Though I wasn't alone then and I sure am not alone now, that didn't seem to calm me down. The thing that seemed to calm me down last time wouldn't be appropriate in front of people, and the consequences were less than ideal. Looking back I know I wouldn't change a thing, that one stressful rash decision changed the entire course of my life. It lead to Nora and to Phil and I have never felt so much happiness that now, well not right now, but everyday I have them is a wish come true.

I could barely make out Phil's outline as he sat at the desk with Derek by his side. I could tell Alex was sitting beside me, her manicured nails grazing gently against the back of my hand.

"Where's Nora?" I ask, my voice sounding awful and almost indecipherable from just random sounds and not actual words.

"She's right here, sleeping beside her momma." Alex whispered grasping my hand a little harder.

I smiled, my eyes still closed, my body weak. I felt like I had a hangover, a hangover so bad that I would have likely had to have been hospitalized due to alcohol poisoning.

"Whats happening?" I groaned out again.

"Shh Kate. Just relax. Everything is okay. We are all safe. No one can hurt us in here. The men are taking care of us."

It hurt to talk so I took her advice and stayed quiet. I also tried to keep my eyes open but everything was beyond bright so I decided to keep them closed.

I could feel myself shaking. I could feel myself unintentionally falling asleep.

Sleep. Sleep would be nice. Then I can help. After I sleep then I can help with what they need. Tired. Soo tired.

I curled up against what felt like a sweatshirt, the zipper a slight nuisance, but it was better than nothing against the hard ground.

Then, though I was entirely exhausted I couldn't force myself to go back to sleep.

A race of thoughts became more and more powerful, clouding out everything else that I could possibly envision or think of.

It's happening again. I'm trapped. I'm scared. I'm stuck inside a metal tomb that I may never get out of. My baby needs to be saved. I need to be saved.

Then I thought about my grandpa. If he were here he would tell me to be strong. He would tell me that I could overcome anything. I have to honor his memory, especially today, and fight. Fight as hard as I can, for my child and myself. And just like grandma I should always remember Daisy, because Daisy isn't just a horse it's our symbol. A symbol meaning to never give up hope.

"Hey Kate." Alex whispered rubbing my back.

I let out a soft mmmm in response.

PHIL

My eye strained to see the smallest of details on the camera facing the road coming up to the cabin. I need to know everything about these people before I can make a decision about what to do. I know I need to put Nora and Kate above all else, that is a nonissue, but it's how I will do that that can be tricky.

The four SUVs marked S.W.A.T in bright white glistening letters drove slowly down the dirt path, ecking their way through the trees and underbrush. They followed just inches behind one another, obviously trained and working as a team.

Looking back at the murderers, I could see two men standing outside their van, guns now drawn and pointing straight at the cabin. They "hid" behind their vehicle as their elbows rested on the its hood. To the unknowing eye you would believe they were actual officers of the law, but hopefully the professionally trained officers of the law knew better.