Uncertainty

Phil
I practically ran the four blocks to the restaurant forcing myself to be on time. When I was about half a block away I slowed to walk and made myself take several deep breaths, guess I really do need to put an illeptical in my office.

As I was about to reach the double doors of the restaurant I notice a woman sitting on a bench a few feet up the street, from the side she looked like Kate.

Questioningly I walk over and notice that it is her! I took a few steps closer and then noticed that she was sobbing.

I took a seat beside her but with her head in her hands I wasn't sure if she knew I was there.

"Kate?" I ask as I instictively reach for her shoulder.

She jumps in her seat then makes a point to not look at me.

"Kate what's wrong? Did they mess up the reservation?"

She slowly shakes her head.

"Then what is..."

"They thought I WAS YOUR WIFE!" She screamed abruptly causing me to jump.

I looked around to see if anyone had noticed her outburst but thankfully the street was deserted.

"What do you mean?" I whisper.
I reach for her hand but she quickly pulled it away.

"I mentioned your name and that we had a reservation and as he was seating me he asked me if I was your wife. I told him no, that I was just a friend and then after he sat me down and he left I got up and parked myself on this bench." She said rushing her words making it hard for me to keep up.

"Oh Kate..."

Now she's looking at me dead in the eyes her sadness now replaced with anger.

"Don't "oh Kate" me, it's not easy for me to lie to people or cheat with people or just pretend theres nothing between us in public. How can I even live happily knowing I'm living a lie? You won't leave your wife, and even if you did I would still feel horrible knowing I was the reason a marriage ended."

"Kate, I had problems with her long before I met you. Never believe that you're the cause of this. It isn't easy for me to be lying either, but right now that's all we can do."

"Thats not true." She half-sobbed half-screamed. "I don't have the energy to deal with all of this, I'm leaving."

She got up and slowly started walking, slightly slaying from side to side. I wasn't sure if following her was the best idea but I couldn't just let her walk away especially with how she was acting.

I ran up to her and just as I got to her she almost fell to her feet. As I lifted her that's when I noticed the strong smell of alcohol on her breath.