Choosing Her

PHIL

I had to make a choice and apparently now was as good a time as any. It was as if my body unconsciously knew where to go. My instincts guided me to where I needed to be, then there I was standing outside her door.

"Knock. Knock." I said as I knocked on the hospitals door.

"Come in." I heard her say.

I walked inside my heart pounding heavily.

And there she was looking entirely uncomfortable and exhausted but as always, beautiful.

"Kate." I said softly, almost so softly I am surprised she even heard me.

"Yeah, Phil?" She asked her eyes barely opened, her throat sounding dry and weak. 

"I love you." I whispered.

"What did you say?" She mumbled.

"You're amazing." I said walking to the other side of the bed and taking a seat in the chair that sat beside her bed. Her eyes followed me but otherwise she remained still.

"I need you Kate. I need to know everything about you. I want to be with you. I want to wake up with you in my arms and see your beautiful smile. I need you, Kate." I said taking her hand and holding it in mine.

"Phil.." She muttered.

Then she started to shake! The machines went crazy beeping erratically!

"Kate! Kate!" I shouted now standing beside her and letting go of her hand.

Two, then three nurses came running in.

"YOU NEED TO LEAVE" An elderly man yelled at me.

"but, Kate!" I yelled as they started ushering me away.

"She is in the best hands this hospital has, now please leave so we can help her." A younger nurse said while the others surrounded Kate quickly.

Then it was all a blur. I was in the hallway. Then I was in the waiting room. Then I was sitting down. I felt like I was in a trance, a horrible trance.

"Phil?" I hear the man from earlier ask, the man that knows Erica, somehow, but it was cloudy, like I was in a fog.

I didn't answer him. I just swayed in my seat. Back and forth, back and forth.

"Phil, what happened with Erica is she ok. I thought she was ok! What is going on?!!!" He half shouts standing in front of me.

"It's not Erica." I said. Then everything went black.