Wonderful, Caring Man

TWO WEEKS LATER

KATE

"Hey Kate would you mind helping grandpa out here?" Phil's father, Clayton, asks.

"Sure." I say somewhat happily. I grab the plates from the cupboard and start setting the formal dining room table, the only table large enough to fit everyone.

The kitchen smells delicious, as it always does when his father cooks.

"Thanks for helping us out. We really needed it." I say now reaching for the cups and setting them in their corresponding places beside the "fancy set" of dinner plates.

"We would do anything for family." He says as he peeked inside the oven once again. "With Phil's sister out traveling Europe, we don't have much family here. And with how Margie has been lately.."

I couldn't help but feel instantly sad. Phil's mother seemed like a wonderful women it's just too bad that she is having memory problems and bouts of confusion. I can tell how a hard it must be on Clayton.. and Margie.

"She is a wonderful woman and you raised a wonderful, caring man." I say now standing a few feet away from him in the kitchen.

"He did grow up to be quite successful." his says stirring the potatoes that sat atop the stove.

"He is." I say almost as if it was a question.

"That doesn't help me any." He says under his breath.

I clearly heard him but almost couldn't believe what I had heard. Phil had told me he had helped his parents out on several occasions including getting the best care for his mother. Was he lying?

"Huh?" I ask his father as I try to make myself look busy by getting some lemonade out of the fridge.

"Nothing, Nothing." He says now in his normal rough voice.

"Ok. Want me to call everyone for dinner?" I ask, looking at him even though he is still hunched over the stove.

"Good, Sounds good." He says not looking up at me.

I bring the lemonade to the table along with a pitcher of water and then I head back towards the living room where I hear sudden bouts of laughter.

There everyone was. Phil, with Nora in his arms, Margie, And Trevor.

Then I heard the doorbell ring, funny thing is I wasn't expecting anyone.