Drop

PHIL

She lets out a blood curdling scream as her arms squeeze me so tightly I had a hard time breathing! The walls felt like they were caving in on us! The room had turned dark once again and I could feel our belongings slide against us then bang on the opposite walls! Drop, Drop. The elevator jolting us harshly! Down, stop, Down, stop!

I had no choice but to visualize all of this as a ride at an amusement park. I imagine her sitting beside me, carefully strapped in alongside myself. This is just a ride. It shot us straight up into the air giving us breathtaking views of the park. The ride a towering monstrosity over everything else, limited only in height by aircraft flying restrictions. Now we were just making our descent, together. I pictured people walking the trails below us popcorn, candy and drinks in their sweaty palms. I could hear the screams from the neighboring roller-coaster riders as it made its triumphant loop over the heads of all of the happy thrill seekers. It's just a ride. Soon it will be over.

Kate continued to scream next to me but her voice was now weakened. I held myself against her tightly as I tried to keep the re-creation in my mind. The ride had been one of my favorites, it always bringing out the most excitement and nerves than almost any other ride in the park. Then I finally made it to the bottom.

As if my imagination knew of my safety, the elevator stopped to, leaving us at a slight angle the floor slightly dipping towards the doors.

"We're okay." I whispered to Kate not letting her leave my arms.

It seemed apparent that she didn't want to leave either, her body still conformed to mine.

"How—How are y-you okay?" She stuttered.

"I'm not." I answered honestly. "I'm so scared. I just tried to imagine something else, that was the only thing that helped."

"and it worked?" She said taking her hand and wiping at her nose.

"Sort of." I said trying to sound hopeful.

"Wha-what did you think of?" She asks now letting me go, but sitting herself beside me, our legs continuing to touch.

"You know that theme park about an hour south of here?"

"Yes, I used to go there all the t-time." She says her nose now slightly stuffed from the tears.

"I thought about being on one of the rides."

"Y-you could think of any t-thing and you think of something almost as scary as this?" She says with a very small quiet laugh.

"Sounds silly when you say it like that. I just pictured us together on the ride." I say."What are you doing?" I ask as I hear her continue to shuffle around in her purse.

"I have some tissues and hand sanitizer, I want to clean my hands."

I chuckle. "You're prepared for almost everything aren't you?"

"I try to be, but nothing could have compared me for this."

"Being stuck in an elevator isn't something I would have known how to prepare for either."

"That isn't what I was talking about." She answers so softly I'm not sure I was even meant to hear it. She was talking about me, she was talking about us.

"There are things in life you can't plan—"

"Obviously." She interrupts.

"-but from what I've learned sometimes those are the moments that entirely change your life, often for the better."

"I hope so." She says. "Tell me I'm not making a mistake."

I could feel her left hand roam around her leg inching over hers then landing on my thigh. I move my hand so it rests besides hers waiting for her hand to find mine.

It does and she fits her fingers perfectly into the spaces of mine, her thumb a continuous movement over the back of my hand.

Before I knew it we both had fallen asleep laying gently in each others arms.