Chapter 16: Summer of Hell (Pt.2)

(2nd Person's POV)

The 1st month was a success, and Masahi was so proud, already feeling optimistic about the whole training. But learning about the ingredients was just a simple walk on the surface.

The real thing will start on the 3rd month...

Currently, you'll dig a little deep into your trainings in the 2nd month, as Mayumi will teach you the types of kitchen knives, how to use them, and how to cut your ingredients quickly yet finely. You were home with Mayumi, both of you in the kitchen as she began talking.

"Kaya, now that you've learned about the ingredients, this month you're going to learn about the knives and their uses" Mayumi instructed, but you found that a little useless.

"Why learn about knives? I can just use one for everything" you asked with a shrug. "No, you absolutely cannot just use one knife only! Many chefs use more than one knife to prepare one dish, and me and your dad use those kitchen knives to prepare the food for our customers. Don't worry, by the end of this month, you'll be able to memorize each knife's name and how to use it. But first, you need to study them before putting them into test" Mayumi stated, her last sentence made you a stuttering mess.

"Excuse me?? P-Putting them into test??!".

"Correct".

"You know there's gonna be a bloodbath if I mess up, right??" you asked, staring right at her. "Which is why you need to do it right, understand??" Mayumi responded, glaring at you. The house butler then came in with what looked like a black knife case and handed it to Mayumi. She placed the case on the counter and opened it while you watched with an intrigued look as she took out a beautifully carved, well-sharpened knife. The handle's colour was black, and you caught a glimpse of small writing written on it.

"Now, this...is your chef knife" Mayumi said, handing you your very own knife. Your eyes sparkled as you slowly held the knife, it reflected your eyes as you stared at it.

"Woah! I have my own knife?!" you asked as excitement filled your voice. "E.K..." you whispered your initial after looking closely at the small writing. "Hey, it's my initial!".

"With this knife, Kaya, you're going to cook your own food. But before that, there are several kinds of knives that you need to observe and learn how to use them correctly. Each knife has its own task, there're knives for fruits, knives for poultry, knives for vegetables, and knives for seafood" Mayumi instructed, while you kept nodding after everything she says. Mayumi then showed you several, all neatly organized, finely sharpened kitchen knives, and took one of them out for you to get a closer look.

"This is a Fillet knife; it's used to cut thin fish slices" she informed, while you nodded. She then took out another knife. "And this is the Deba Bocho knife, it's very thin which helps in cutting the vegetables" she said, you nodded again.

"And this, is the Mezzaluna, also known as Italy's 'half-moon' knife" Mayumi said, showing it to you. "Hey, I know that knife! It's the only knife I know" you spoke, smiling ridiculously.

"The Mezzaluna helps in slicing and dicing the ingredients in every direction. Now, this knife right here is the Yanagiba knife, it's used for cutting raw fish such as sushi" Mayumi explained as she took out yet another knife. You were feeling quite interested with the shapes and sizes of each knife your mom displayed, it shows you that everything in the kitchen has its own purpose.

"Wow, there're so many knives used for fish" you remarked.

"Seafood and poultry can sometimes be tricky when you cut them. For example, the meat of the bear has a strong stench, and in order to serve such dish, you need to figure out exactly where and how to cut the bear meat and get rid of the smell. To cut the meat, you need to use the cleaver knife for precise cutting. Now, watch me as I cut some ingredients. " Mayumi directed, you watched her closely with eyes full of anticipation as she demonstrated how to cut the ingredients with speed, steadiness, and in such a professional way.