Chapter 73: What's Hidden in the Shadows

(Y/N's POV)

I was having a great breakfast, already feeling my blood boil with excitement. That amazing feeling I had is still lit inside me.

Heh, guess I should've been the one telling Soma to meet me at the main tournament.

I glanced at the window next to me, and I saw a car stopping in front of our dorm.

Me, Soma, and Megumi are supposed to go to the academy so we can understand this whole tournament thing.

"Hey, Soma! Our ride's here!" I yelled.

"'K!" he yelled back and went to find Megumi.

-

Meanwhile, at the academy...

(Isshiki-Senpai's POV)

"So, is the list of the candidates against each other ready?" Eizan asked, sitting on his desk. I was leaning on the desk, while Nakiri-Kun was standing next to it, holding the papers.

"Yes" she answered, handing Eizan the papers as he looked at it.

He fixed his glasses and raised a brow, "the winners for the preliminaries are eight".

"That's right" Nakiri-Kun replied. "Then, why are there...nine winners?".

Nakiri-Kun flinched and took the paper back to read it once more, "I was sure they were eight!".

"Well, we can either just drop one of them, or have two candidates to do a Shokugeki and the winner will continue to the main tournament" Eizan suggested, leaning his head on the palm of his hand.

I snickered, gaining the attention of the two.

"Is there something on your mind, Isshiki-San?" Nakiri-Kun asked. "Well, I wonder..." I said, playfully.

Eizan scoffed, "get to the point, Isshiki!".

"Haha, well I may have an idea to make this opportunity help making the main tournament far more...interesting" I spoke with a smile.

The two looked at me with a confused face. I approached Nakiri-Kun and took the paper that contain the names of the candidates.

"It involves...those two...".

-

Later...

"Soma-Kun, you'll be competing in the very first round. The theme for the round is 'Bento'" I instructed.

"'Bento'? You mean that 'Bento'?" Soma-Kun asked. "That's right. Finish all the necessary preparations today for the match tomorrow".

"'Bento', huh? This academy's more down to earth than I thought" Soma-Kun stated, making Nakiri-Kun scoff.

"What are you talking about? You're ignorant to the extreme! 'Bento' is a food culture unique to Japan. Gourmands have long loved bentos created from high-end seasonal ingredients. Even prominent chefs overseas are familiar with bentos, and the word has even been added to a French dictionary. It is a theme that is justifiably appropriate for a celebration of food. It's an entirely different beast from the B-grade 'gourmet' food you're an expert in!" Nakiri-Kun explained seriously.

Soma-Kun chuckled, "I've gotta say, I'm still not a fan of that side of your personality. I'm good at talking with people, but man, Nakiri, you're something else" he said, making Nakiri-Kun sweat drop.

"Things were pretty tense between us on our way back from camp, too!".

"What's your point?! I have no idea what you're getting at! This is irritating!".