Chapter 30: A Person to Save

(Kaya's POV)

Chappelle-Sensei stood behind the counter that was in front of us all, a large, clean white board behind him as one of the students stood behind him, writing the recipe for today's dish. I let out a small sigh. As I expected, we'll probably take classes where we follow recipes written on the board as accurately as possible, then the teacher evaluates it after tasting it. Though I can't help but wonder, is he going to eat all those servings, or are we able to eat them afterwards?

This is really the biggest, most crucial question I have in mind.

"So, we'll make a French dish today, huh? 'Burgundy-Style Braised Beef'. Sounds delicious!" I thought, licking my lips.

"Today's menu is 'Boeuf á la Bourguignonne'. It is a staple of French cooking. The recipe is written on the board. Follow it correctly, and you have 2 hours to complete it" Chappelle-Sensei instructed, not bothering to add another word since it is as clear as they sky.

"Now, begin cooking!".

"Wait! Boof brogino-...boof! What?! You know what? Fuck this!" I complained, puffing my cheeks. "I know! What the hell? The name's too hard to say" Soma said in agreement, his hands were on his hips.

Megumi stared at us in disbelief, she was a stuttering mess. "Y-You two n-n-never cooked this dish?!".

"Well, it never hurts to try. Soma, please prepare everything we need on the counter, and I'll grab the ingredients" I said to him. "Okay!" he nodded, and I went ahead. I've been keeping my eyes on him because the evil auras still lingered around. Damn those people, they can't seem to get over it, huh?

"It's weird, why do I care about him or worry about him? We barely know each other! And Megumi's like a little bunny surrounded by wolves" I thought as I gathered the ingredients needed for this dish, and make sure that they are fresh. Though I know Totsuki can provide the freshest ingredients and won't let things slide if they received something defective, but maybe because of my trainings I got used to check the goods before using them.

"Let's see, beef, onion, mushrooms, butter, carrots, cauliflowers, bouquet garni -I don't know what the hells it is, but since it's written on the board-, salt, pepper, and garlic. Oh, there's honey, too!" I thought as I grabbed everything and walked back to our counter.

"Alright, I brought everything!" I spoke. "Good job! I'll cook the beef while you prepare the vegetables" Soma informed.

"You got it" I smiled and grabbed the onions and carrots and started chopping.

"Oh, you brought honey! Nice, I was planning on using it!" he smiled widely. "That's why I brought it. It's the perfect ingredient to tenderize the meat, my parents use it all the time, as well as a substitute to white sugar" I stated with a smirk.

"You're amazing, Eguchi!" he grinned, and I wiggled my brows.

While I was chopping the onion, I stole glances at Megumi for a little while before she muttered something to herself and left her spot for a moment while her pot was cooking; she must've forgot an ingredient. But trouble was coming, that's when I saw two sneaky assholes slowly approaching her counter.

"Tch, I knew it..." I thought, clicking my tongue. This school has trash like them. Why are they targeting her, anyway? If they wanna target anyone, they can target me and Soma! At least we can handle those nasty jerks, but Megumi is like a little bunny surrounded by a pack of wolves, she wouldn't stand a chance against them. As they were about to touch her steaming pot, I slammed my knife on top of it, they flinched and looked to see me glaring at them.