Chapter 44: The Dish's Story

(2nd Person's POV)

Your eyes widened, as you and Soma stared at the second-year smirking. Piercing the both of you with his cyan blue eyes, like he was a predator that found his prey.

"Y-You're...one of the elite ten??" Soma choked, still staring at him. "That's right. I'd like to try both of your dishes now. I wonder what dish you two will make. Show me what narrative you'll create on your plate" Isshiki-Senpai said with a challenging look.

You and Soma kept staring at the older Senpai with pure shocked faces, until you broke the intense silence.

"Soma" you called, he looked at you with a serious face. "Let's start cooking!" you smirked.

The red head snickered and stood up, untying his headband off his wrist and wrapped it on his head. "Hang onto your seat!".

You followed and stood up, tying your hair to a ponytail. By the looks of Isshiki-Senpai's food, you assumed that his specialty is Japanese cuisine. Your dad's specialty as well, this shouldn't be so hard on you since you'll make something simple from whatever ingredient available in the room.

Although that Isshiki-Senpai's dish tasted delightful, it was rather meek, too meek for an elite ten. And a 7th seat, no less! Which made you feel a little suspicious about him.

Could he had gone easy on you and Soma only because you're the new students in school?

"You seem to know what cuisine this dish is from, Eguchi-Kun. After all, it's your father's specialty, too" Isshiki-Senpai pointed out, which made you flinch and saw him staring at you. There was a hint of feeling that told you he already knows what you were thinking about, but he won't say anything about it.

"Then I don't need to ask anything, since both of us already know the answer" you walked to the small kitchen to check the ingredients.

"Isshiki-Senpai, does your family run a traditional fine dining restaurant?" Soma asked, kneeling down to his level.

"Hmm...Why would you think that?" Isshiki-Senpai questioned.

"Because peppered mackerel is essential on the menu. And you can't learn this kind of thing in just any restaurant" Soma stated. You snuck back and tried Isshiki-Senpai's food again.

"His food is really good. But this isn't the power of an elite ten. I've eaten my parents' food so many times I can tell which can be worthy of the elite ten, and that is no elite ten dish. He didn't even put his all in it." you mused, glancing at the older Senpai. "Why is he going easy on us? Shouldn't he show us what a true and powerful elite ten is?".

Soma glanced down at the mackerel, "The mackerel is grilled to delicate perfection. It's paired with a surprising puree featuring spring cabbage. But its mild smooth sweetness is a perfect complement to the mackerel. Spanish mackerel is in season in spring, and the spring cabbage heighten each other's flavours in this pairing. It's so festive, it's as if I'm basking in spring sunshine".

"Spanish mackerel..." he muttered, causing you to look at him. The red head then smiled, "Alright! I can use another dish on Yukihira's secret menu. Item No.20!".

"Eh? Yukihira's?" Isshiki-Senpai asked with a raised brow. "Yeah! It's our family's restaurant name. I'll use mackerel as a main ingredient, too!" he replied.

"I see. What about you, Eguchi-Kun?" Isshiki-Senpai questioned you. "Me too, I'll use mackerel as a main ingredient" you answered and started cooking.

After a few minutes, everyone who was passed out woke up because of the aroma filling the room. You heard their groans and raised your head to look.