Chapter 80: Back to the Surface (pt.2)

(3rd Person's POV)

"Well, let us taste-..."

"Please wait a moment. There's one last step" Hayama said, preparing the torch. After he was done, "My dish is 'Seared Pacific Saury Carpaccio'!"...

The aroma was very steamy, very strong, as expected from the spice master.

"Delicious!", "It's delicious without even having a single taste!" Shoji and Daigo said. "I can tell just how juicy it is!" Marui screamed, holding his glasses.

"It goes above what curing can do" Shun stated, sweat dropping. "The dish became completely different after the fish was seared" said Megumi, as the judges had taken their first bite.

*FOODGASM*

"The dressing consists of extra virgin olive oil, wine vinegar, and pacific saury innards! The rich flavour of the innards floods the tongue and emphasizes the sweetness of the pacific saury's fat! I'm drowning in the overflowing aromas and flavours!" Leonora rambled with fluent Japanese.

Hayama had a sly smirk as he watched the judges fall to the powerful magic of the spice master

Hayama had a sly smirk as he watched the judges fall to the powerful magic of the spice master. Soma and Ryo were watching with intense expression, while you watched with a blank face expression.

"How many spices did you add to this dish?!" she asked, practically screaming.

"No! He has only used allspice!" Senzaemon pointed. "He only used one spice?!" Shoji asked. "I thought that Hayama's special weapon was to weave various spices into the best aroma possible..." Mito stated.

"Not necessarily...he's as sly as a fox. He gets out of expectations..." you thought, eyes piercing Hayama from the back.

Hayama snickered, "it's the kaeshi sauce. I brushed it over the fish, right before serving". Leonora put a finger on her chin, "kaeshi? Is that 'Tsubame Gaeshi'? Kojiro Sasaki?" she asked.

"I'm surprised you know that word...but that's different. Kaeshi is a seasoning made by a mixture of soy sauce with mirin, sake, and other ingredients. You can make soba dipping sauce by diluting kaeshi with stock. It's considered an all-purpose seasoning for most Japanese dishes" Erina explained with crossed arms.

"No wonder. Fish is hard to sear, even with high heat from the torch. Kaeshi contains sugar, which makes the fish much easier to sear!" chef Dojima remarked.

"So, he prevented the loss of flavour that would have resulted from a more prolonged exposure to heat" Alice acknowledged.

"The surface fat of the fish and the sugars in the kaeshi sizzle and bubble from the heat. In other words, I managed to demonstrate two theoretically opposing principles, the subtraction of aroma and its emphasis in unison with this single dish" Hayama explained.

The students cheered as Senzaemon went bare-chested.

"Two bares in a row...fuck" you thought, sweat dropping, and biting your lower lip. Your eyes looked up and saw that you don't have much time left. You quickly finished your last touch, and your dish was finally ready.