Chapter 70

Addison heaved a sigh of relief as she went down to the kitchen. It was Saturday so she didn't have to endure the torture of carpooling with Jordan in a tensed car.
She entered the kitchen and inwardly groaned when seeing Jordan having a glass of water by the sink. She was sure that he was on his way to work too and decided to greet him.
"Hey, Jordan," Addison hesitantly said. "Going to work?"
Jordan just put the glass in the sink and walked away.
"Now that's just bad," Addison groaned and turned around to see Giuseppe standing in the doorway.
It wasn't even a college day but here he was, loitering in the kitchen.
"Hi, Mr. Galante," Addison greeted. "Any... any weekend plans?"
"Not much... just planning to shop a little," Giuseppe shrugged. "Need to get some stuff. You?"
"Working," Addison sheepishly grinned, closing the lid of her bottle and stuffing it in her bag. "Well, I guess I'll be going, then."
"How are you going to work?" Giuseppe asked.
"Uh... bus?" Addison shrugged. "I'll walk over to the stop by the main road and take a bus there."
Giuseppe shook his head. "No, you're coming with me. I know the place you work at, and it happens to be the first stop on my shopping journey."
Addison gulped. "Oh no... that would not be necessary. I don't actually mind taking the bus, you know? Gives me some exercise too."
"Ah, come on, I don't even mind," Giuseppe urged. "Just come. I'm going to the same place too."
Addison sighed. A free ride still. At least she can save some time. After all, taking a bus is not the most reliable mode of transport, a PickYou at this time of the day would be expensive too, and walking would be tiring.
So, Addison begrudgingly agreed and made her way to the garage. Jordan and his car were nowhere to be seen.
Addison was awed when seeing the well-kept Fiat 1100 up so close. She ran a hand through the sleek red surface of the car before getting in beside Giuseppe. She marvelled at how the ignition was placed in the middle of the dashboard instead of its usual place under the steering wheel.
"Seriously, I still have no idea what's wrong with that redhead," Giuseppe complained as he pulled out into the main road. "He's not even saying anything for us to know what's bothering him."
"I'm not sure either," Addison shrugged. "I thought Fiolina would be able to solve it but she ended up making it worse."
"Well, looks like we never going to find out, then," Giuseppe shrugged. "Who knows, maybe he's the Superhero?"
Addison turned to him in surprise. "Why do you say that?"
Giuseppe shrugged. "Comes home late, grumpy, and keeps a low profile. Even Jacob doesn't know much despite being his best friend for almost a decade."
Addison nodded in agreement. "We wouldn't know. It might be him."
"Well, if it is, we'll find out soon," Giuseppe smirked.
Addison had a strange but good experience riding in Giuseppe's car. She mainly enjoyed because of the car since this was her first time in a vintage old-fashioned car.

Jeff looked up in surprise when Addison came in with Galante.
"Good afternoon, Sir," Jeff greeted, even bowing for exaggeration.
Addison rolled her eyes but didn't say anything.
"Kid, I may be Addie's lecturer, but I'm definitely not yours," Giuseppe pointed out.
Jeff grinned. "Well, I figured it was a school trip since you're here with Addie. Where's Hoodie? Usually, he's the one with Addie, but now he's M I A?"
"I have no idea what's even going on with him," Addison sighed. "He's even worse today, completely ignoring me when I tried to make conversation."
Jeff frowned. "Oh... that doesn't even sound like him. He's usually joking around, isn't he?"
"Mostly doing stupid things, but he's never grumpy," Addison shrugged. "He even made our landlady a beautiful portrait as a peace offering just because she didn't like him much. It's strange that a guy like that is acting like this."
"Something's going on in that brain of his," Giuseppe said. "Because I'm his teacher. So I know how he is in class too and he's usually very casual with Addie. Not so much now too. Besides, his handwriting is getting worse, and so are his essays. It's like he's doing them just for the sake of it. It's very unlike him."
"Oh wow..." Jeff said in surprise. "Why didn't you ask Jake or something? I thought they were besties?"
"He got rejected too," Addison sighed.
"Oh yeah, there's that," Jeff nodded thoughtfully. "Why don't you guys spy on him or something? See what he's up to, observe his every move and stuff."
"Well, ain't nobody got time for that," Giuseppe shrugged. "I have work. I only come home at like nine-thirty..."
"I thought night classes only go up to seven-thirty?" Addison asked, puzzled.
"Yeah, but I have my own work to do, right?" Giuseppe pointed out.
"Oh, okay..." Addison nodded. "Now about this Jordan... I have no idea what's going on with him now. He's both worrying and exasperating now. I know there's something going in that ginger head of his, but he can at least tell Jake about it, right? They're good friends!"
Jeff shrugged. "Well..."
"I need to get some stuff..." Giuseppe said, making his way through the aisles.
He went around and took a few things before returning to the counter. Jeff had to hold in laughter as he dealt with the payment.
"See you later, Addie," Giuseppe said as soon as he was done paying, waving at her.
Addison plastered on a smile and waved back. "You too, Sir."
Giuseppe left and Jeff immediately burst into laughter, not able to contain it any longer.
"It isn't funny, can you stop?" Addison scowled.
Jeff tried to stop. "What actually happened?"
"All kinds of stuff happened," Addison sighed as she slumped onto the chair. "Remember yesterday?"
Jeff seemed like he just remembered something. "Oh yeah, did Hoodie's girlfriend ask him what's up?"
"I have no idea if she did, but the only thing she did was make things worse."
"What did she even do?"
Addison told him whatever she knew, preparing instant pasta as she did. Jeff's eyes widened the deeper she went.
"Ookay..." Jeff nodded, still processing everything. "Okay, I just have one more thing left... what if he's the Superhero?"
Addison frowned thoughtfully. "I have a valid reason to think so too. I saw something yesterday."
Jeff eagerly leaned over the counter. "What is it?"
"I saw Superhero crying alone in a secluded alleyway yesterday," Addison smirked, making Jeff gasp. "I'm not sure what his reason was, but I think it might be because he had a fight with his girlfriend plus something else going on in his life."
Jeff frowned, rubbing a hand against the back of his neck. "Maybe... maybe that's the case. Yeah. Superhero was crying? How did you even see this stuff?"
Addison shrugged. "I just happened to be there. I didn't know it was him at first but he disappeared as soon as I stepped onto a twig."
Jeff nodded thoughtfully. "I see... so you're a ninja, then?"
"If I was, I wouldn't have been noticed."
Jeff shrugged and sat down on his stool. Addison finished her pasta and threw it away into the bin under the counter. Only now did she notice something about Jeff. He seemed a little tensed than usual.
"Is everything okay?" Addison asked.
Jeff sighed. "It's my friend Helen... she died last night."
Addison gasped. "Oh my gosh... I'm so sorry, Jeff..."
Jeff shook his head, a small smile on his face. "It's fine. I kinda saw it coming. She's old, after all. For a goldfish, at least."
"Oh... so Helen is a fish..." Addison realised, smiling slightly. "How old is she, then?"
"Two years old," Jeff answered. "Poor Helen... she really was my best friend."
Addison sighed. "Hey... you want me to get you a new one?"
"Nah, I'm going to the aquarium shop after this to get a new one," Jeff smirked. "It just hurts a little since Helen is my longest-running goldfish."
Addison chuckled. "I'm sure she's resting in peace right now, Jeff."
"I hope so too, Addie."