9. Tommen

'Before we begin, Your Grace, I have a report I feel compelled to share. Last night... Prince Daemon bought out one of the pleasure houses on the Street of Silk... to entertain officers of the City Watch and other friends of his.' Otto informed Viserys.

'He toasted Prince Baelon. To the King's fallen son.' Otto went on 'Styling himself as the true heir... rebuking Taelon's claim and Baelon's for his own." Viserys face pinched as he heard of his brothers declarations. 'I corroborated this report with three separate witnesses.' He went on. 'they said the evening was, by all accounts a... celebration.' He added and Viserys got more and more furious by the second.

"Taelon is the heir." Mellos spoke up.

"Daemon apparently doesn't deem Prince Taelon a suitable replacement for himself." Otto remarked.

+

'You cut the image of the conqueror, brother.' Daemon said as he approached the iron throne. Viserys sat staring down at him.

'Did you say it?' Viserys demanded.

'I don't know what you mean.' Daemon told him casually.

'You will address me as Your Grace, or I will have my Kings guard cut out your tongue.' Viserys warned and Daemon's lips pursed. "The Heir for a Day." He clarified 'Did you say it?' Daemon glanced to Taelon standing behind Viserys, his face emotionless.

'We must all mourn in our own way, Your Grace.' Daemon said solemnly pulling his gaze from Taelon.

'My family has just been destroyed. But instead of being by my side, or Rhaenyra's,' Viserys shouted down at him. 'you chose to celebrate your own false rise! Taelon is my heir! You claimed that for yourself though... Laughing with your whοres and your lickspittles! You have no allies at court but me! I have only ever defended you! Yet everything I've given you, you've thrown back in my face.' Viserys reminded him.

'You've only ever tried to send me away. To the Vale, to the City Watch, anywhere but by your side. Ten years you've been king, and yet not once have you asked me to be your Hand!' Daemon countered. Taelon couldn't help but chuckle.

"You?" Taelon asked. "In a place of true power... the world would burn."

"Shut up you cunt." Daemon spat.

'Why would I do that?' Viserys questioned incredulously. "Why would I name you hand?"

'Because I'm your brother. And the blood of the dragon runs thick.' Daemon reminded him.

'Then why do you cut me so deeply?'

'I've only ever spoken the truth. I see Otto Hightower for what he is.' Daemon told him defensively.

'An unwavering and loyal Hand?' Viserys suggested

'A cսոt. Just like your son." Daemon assured.

"Enough!" Viserys demanded.

"Otto is a second son who stands to inherit nothing he doesn't seize for himself.' Daemon corrected

'Otto Hightower is a more honorable man than you could ever be.' Viserys reminded him.

'He doesn't protect you. I would.' Daemon assured

'From what?' Viserys spat.

"You are the danger here, uncle." Taelon assured.

'I would protect you from yourself." Daemon countered and Taelon scoffed. "Yourself. You're weak... Viserys. And that council of leeches knows it. They all prey on you for their own ends.' Daemon told him honestly. "This one included." He nodded to Taelon.