62. Feel The Love

''I congratulate you, Lord Lyonel. I can think of no man more suited to be the Hand of the King.'' Corlys said kindly but there was still a thick tension in the air.

''That is very kind of you to say, Lord Corlys.'' Lyonel replied. ''His Grace has honored me with the post.''

''Pity about Ser Otto." Corlys added.

''Despite spending most of my days amidst the grandeur of the Red Keep, the halls of High Tide never fail to impress.'' Viserys remarked changing topic.

'You flatter me, Your Grace.'' Corlys told him, forcing a smile. 'Though I do wish we could meet under happier pretenses.''

''How so?''

'Daemon's wife, the Lady Rhea Royce, has passed''. Corlys informed them.

''A hunting mishap. She was thrown from her horse. Her neck and skull both crushed in the fall.' Rhaenys added

''A most surprising end. Lady Rhea's skill as both rider and hunter were well-known.'' Corlys agreed

'The gods are cruel.'' Rhaenys added

''Indeed. Lady Rhea was a fine woman and a, uh... good wife to my brother. Sad thing that she and Daemon have no heirs to succeed her.'' Viserys told them stiffly. He knew of Daemon's dislike for Rhae but he didnt know of Taelon's adoration of her. The child they had. No one but Gerold, ALicent and Tommen it seemed knew of Thorin's true father. Thorin's real mother to everyone was just a woman, a low born, already dead.

''She stood to inherit Runestone.'' Corlys reminded him and Viserys bit back a response.

''Mayhaps we can turn toward happier pursuits.'' Viserys offered, he said needing to show strength.

''What did you have in mind, Your Grace?''

''I wish to propose a marriage between your son, Ser Laenor... and my daughter, the Princess Rhaenyra. It's long past time our houses were united in blood. The last pillars of Old Valyria." Viserys offered them through another cough.

"Rhaenyra... not yourself?" Corlys countered. 

"Oh I don't think the realm would like Ser Laenor and I together." Viserys mused through another cough. 

"Laena." Corlys hissed. 

"I will not be taking a wife." Viserys corrected. "Taelon is my heir. But that doesnt mean that our families cannot be bonded..." Corlys opened his mouth to object but Rhaenys spoke up instead. 

"What a lovely offer." Rhaenys agreed.

''You honor both me and my house, Your Grace. Such a generous offer." Corlys agreed. 

+

''In truth, if it had to be someone, I'm glad it is you. I know this union is not what you would choose. I hold nothing against you, cousin. No, I... Rather... Dare I say it is a matter of taste? I prefer roast duck to goose. I cannot say why. It's, it's not for a lack of trying.'' Rhaenyra offered awkwardly.

''There are those who like goose very well.'' Laenor offered confused.

''I find it a bit greasy for my taste. I know that whatever agreement being struck up there will not change your appetites, nor will it change mine." Rhaenyra offered as her and Laenor walked the shores of driftmark.

''And what do you propose?''

''That we perform our duty to our fathers and to the realm and when it's done... each of us dines as we see fit.'' Rhaenyra offered. She could try and find love. She could try and win favor back with Taelon. She didnt want to lose her brother. Not after everything. 

+

Alicent had never felt more loved as the kids piled up in the bed. Thorin was telling them a story, he held up a book pretending to read the words but he looked at the pictures Taelon had drawn for their storybook and Thorin made up a story. Taelon chuckled writing the words Thorin spoke to make it into a real story book later. Thorin jumped up on the bed and the kids were hypnotized. Alicent loved how much they all loved each other. 

Alicent knew Taelon was a good man, would be a good king one day. She looked around at the kids and right now she thought that maybe Thorin would be a great heir. It was too soon to say. What if Thorin didnt want to be king? What if Maekar was a born leader? What if Aegon liked drinking with his friends and being rebellious and flirting with all the girls... Avalon clapped out as Thorin took a bow. Emma curled up next to Alicent smiling up at her. 

 "You were always the man of my dreams but... " Alicent whispered kissing Taelon's shoulder. "I never could have dreamt of all this."

"This must be what heaven is like." Taelon agreed. 

+

''I've always feared the day you'd have to marry a woman. And now it comes. Your betrothed gives you leave of her own free will to continue partaking of. Was I the duck or the goose?'' Joffrey questioned smugly as he kissed at Laenors chest.

''I've come to meet my fate and you make a jape of it?'' Laenor countered pushing him away.

''Think of the tournament, the feast, the battles at sea. Married to a princess but fucking me?'' Laenor chuckled

''You're a fool.''

''You will need a sworn protector.'' Joffrey reminded him flipping him onto his back.

''Mm-hm.'' Laenor agreed happily.

''Well, this is better than we could've hoped for. She has a paramour of her own.'' Joffrey declared. ''I wonder who it is.''