52. Get Lucky

''Make haste to Dwarfstone, Ser Addam.' Viserys instructed 'Hand-deliver this to Prince Daemon yourself.'

'At once, Your Grace.' He agreed

'Dwarfstone?' Rhaenyra questioned

'I'm sending word to Daemon. Aid is sailing to the Stepstones.'

'Did he make call for help?'

'He would sooner die." Taelon corrected. 

 "But his king does not mean to allow that.' Viserys told his daughter as she took a seat. 'Do you not think my decision correct?'

'It is no consequence to what I think... as I'm often reminded.' Rhaenyra told him calmly.

"Hey bonding, new leaf, lets try that with father too." Taelon encouraged. 

'Daemon is thorn enough in my flesh. Will you insist on taking after him? Must everything be a battle?'

'If you refer to your attempt to marry me off to Casterly Rock.' Rhaenyra told him stubbornly.

"Yeah that was a fuck up on his part." Taelon agreed.

'I am sorry, Rhaenyra. I was trying to help you. Will you not be helped? Why must every effort on your behalf be resisted as if to the death?' Viserys asked

'Because you mean to replace me...  Y-You have no further use for me.' Rhaenyra told him sadly. 'You might as well peddle me for what you can. A mountain stronghold or a fleet of ships.'

'You have misjudged me, Rhaenyra.'

'We all know it. Jason Lannister knows it. You said it yourself, the lords of the realm gather like vultures to a carcass, hoping to feast on my bones.' Rhaenyra told him.

"I won't let that happen." Taelon assured her. 

'It is true that as rulers we must marry for advantage to forge alliances and bolster our strength. Taelon married Alicent and they couldnt be happier... You have always understood this.' Viserys reminded her 'I myself was promised to your mother when I was...'

'ten-and-seven years of age. The Vale had an army to rival the North. I've heard that story since I've had ears to.' Rhaenyra reminded him

"Yes and she was 11 at the time wasnt she... how old was Laena when Corlys tried to force her upon you?" Taelon mused. 

"Taelon." Viserys warned. "Not helping."

"Right, right just thinking out loud." Taelon agreed. 

"Think in your head." Viserys urged. 'I loved Aemma. She made a man of me. I do not seek to replace you, child. You've been much alone these last few years. Alone and angry.' Viserys agreed 'I will not live forever. I wish to see you contented, happy even.'

"You have been alone and angry but that is your own fault." Taelon agreed and Nyra slapped a hand at him. 

'You think a man will do it?' Nyra countered knowing the only man she wanted was happily wed and right next to her. 

'A family.' He corrected

'I had a family.' Rhaenyra reminded him.

"You pushed me away, again your fault." Taelon remarked. 

"Not helping." Viserys rasped.

"Right right just ignore me then. What use is Taelon? Who is Taelon? What is a Taelon?" Taelon mused walking the room. 

 'What would you have me do?!' Viserys begged Rhaenyra. 

'If it was for advantage, you would've wed Laena Velaryon!' Rhaenyra shouted back. "You would have had Taelon marry her-"