10. Knights Assemble

'Ser Ryam was a strong Lord Commander of the Kings guard. But he was ill for some time. He passed in peace, I hope.' Viserys remarked. Taelon couldn't help but bored. He was trying for his father's sake to be the good son. The good heir but damn if having fun wasn't more fun than being proper.

'Yes, Your Grace.' Mellos agreed. 'He was found to have passed gently in his sleep. His remains are being prepared by the Silent Sisters.' He informed Viserys. 'The succeeding Lord Commander, Ser Harrold, would like to make haste in finding Ser Ryam's replacement on the Kings guard.'

"Should be easy, I know all the knights." Taelon assured.

"New knights."

"From the tourney perhaps?" Taelon offered. "The tourney where Daemon got his ass beat to the ground, that was some competition." He remarked holding back a laugh. He would have said it was a wonderful day watching Daemon get belittled and tormented in front of the masses if it didn't end so bloody for his mother.

'Your Grace. My lords.' Ser Harrold remarked. 'The Kings guard must soon be restored to its full complement of seven. With the help of the Hand, I've invited a number of fine candidates to court. All have passed fair trials.' Ser Harrold informed them as the door swung open.

"Wonderful, Taelon." Viserys remarked. "Perhaps-"

'Four ships have now been lost. The last one was flying my banner.' Corlys remarked coming to the table. 'The Step stones have now grown into a conflagration, yet you sit here and dither about court business.'

'If you've something to discuss, Lord Corlys...' Otto remarked.

'I want to know what is to be done about my ships and my men.' Corlys hissed.

'The Crown will compensate you for your ship and crew, and make an offering to the men's families.' Taelon offered calmly. He didn't like Corlys, he always thought himself and his needs more important. Yes ships and men to sail them were important but Viserys wasn't just ruling over one region he was ruling over all seven kingdoms. There was more to be discussed, more to worry about. Yet with Corlys it was always me, me, me.

'I don't want compensation." Corlys hissed glaring at Taelon. "I want to seize the Stepstones by force and burn out this Crab feeder.' Corlys told them slamming his fist down on the table.

'I am not prepared to start a war with the Free Cities.' Viserys told him calmly.

'These pirates are not the Free Cities. Who do you think provides them with their ships and tender?'

'In all of its history, my lord, the Seven Kingdoms have never entered open war with the Free Cities. Were that to happen, the losses would be incalculable.' Taelon offered. He could be calm, he could hold his tongue and offer guidance even if chaos and burnings was more his style, he was showing restraint.

'What reason does the Crabfeeder have to fear us? The King's own brother has been allowed to seize Dragonstone and fortify it with an army of his gold cloaks.' Coryls remarked a challenging stare at Taelon. 'Daemon has squatted there for over half a year without even a protest from The Crown.'

"Squatted indeed, like a street rat from flee bottom." Taelon murmured.

'I'll caution you, Lord Corlys, a seat at the King's table does not make you his equal.' Otto warned

'I have acted, Corlys.' Viserys told him. 'I've sent envoys to Pentos and Volantis to see if we might find common cause. Ships and men are at the ready. The Stepstones will be settled... in time.' Viserys added

'You have dragon riders, father. Send us.' Rhaenyra suggested, being the cup bearer she was present at most meeting when she wasn't out riding Syrax. There was a soft chuckle among the group and Rhaenyra's face pinched, she was right in speaking up.