59. Believe In Me

"Taelon I have made up my mind." Viserys corrected. 

"Father-"

"You know, you know what Rhaenyra said?"

"I dont think I want to." Taelon countered. 

"That she wouldnt cause a fuss, she would do her duty as princess of the realms... If I took a good look at the council, at my Hand." Viserys remarked. 

"He is Alicent's father." Taelon corrected. "He wants what is best for her."

"Did I tell you that at Maekar and Aegon's second name day Otto suggested that one of them were wed to Rhaenyra." Viserys pondered. 

"What?" Taelon rasped. "Why?" Viserys pursed his lips. "You wanted a son. You wanted a replacement for me. WHen mum got pregnant you were praying for a son because you..." Taelon choked out a breath. "You didnt believe in me for so long that the rest of the council already had their minds set. They formed their opinion of me..." Taelon remarked. 

"Taelon I believe in you. I know you will be a great king one day." Viserys assured. "I love you. I love you. I'm proud of you. I believe in you. I'm sorry. I know how wonderful you have been with the children, all your children. With your wife..."

"Thank you." Taelon whispered. 

"I will do what needs to be done." 

+

'Your Grace.'

'Five days.' Viserys told Otto

'I'm sorry, Your Grace?' Otto questioned

'Though it was some time ago. The details... they fade in memory. My father was a hale and healthy warrior and dragon rider at the peak of his abilities. Jaehaerys named a great royal hunt to celebrate him being named the Hand of the King. Five days later my... my father lay dead. Tourneys last longer. Baelon the Brave, rider of Vhagar, heir to the Iron Throne... dead of a burst belly. The gods have a dark wit.' Viserys reminded him.

'It was a grim day.'

'I recall it all too well. Yeah... It was a good day for you. Jaehaerys named you Hand in Baelon's stead.' Viserys recalled

'That's hardly how I viewed it, Your Grace. It was a duty.' Otto assured

'You served my grand sire nobly in his final days. You are the man that taught me how to be King.'

'Oh, you honor me, Your Grace.' Otto said happily but King Viserys sighed.

'Just five days... you went from being another man in Jaehaerys's court, to the second most powerful man in the realm. I wonder... how long did it take you to choose yourself over your King?'

'Your Grace?'

'I will never recover from Aemma's death. But Alicent... she took me through the worst of my grief. She was a calculated distraction. I only now realize how well-calculated it was.' Viserys told him stiffly.

"Your grace-"

"But Taelon and her... that was something you didnt expect." Viserys added. "THeir love and their children, Thorin included but you pushed for a union with Rhaenyra for their twins. Because you lacked faith in Taelon. I loved Aemma. I'm glad I didnt remarry. Taelon and Alicent are so happy... so in love. Yet you keep pushing..." 

'That is an absurdity." Otto stuttered out. 

'Your interests no longer align with those of the realm. Your judgment has been compromised.' Viserys said confidently.

'A loyal Hand must tell his king a discomforting truth from time to time, Your Grace. If he doesn't... he's failed as a servant.'

'You were a faithful servant, Otto. The crown and the realm both owe you a debt that can never be repaid. But I can no longer trust your judgment.' Viserys told him.

+

"Taelon! Taelon!" Alicent declared running up to him. 

"What happened?" Taelon questioned worry filled him. 

"My father, he... The king... he's leaving back to old town." ALicent whispered. "He's been sacked."

"What?" Taelon questioned. 

"Taelon... I don't want him to go." Taelon nodded as he put Avalon back down. She reached up for him. 

"I will talk to him again, see if I can't-" Taelon began as he picked Avalon back up. 

"He has made up his mind." Alicent corrected. 

"I'm sorry Alicent." 

Viserys wanted the council to trust and believe in Taelon. That started with getting rid of Otto.