108. Tragedy

"I'm going to kill Daemon." Taelon grumbled as he downed his drink. "But I'm a good guy right?"

"An amazing man." ALicent agreed. 

"And I dont want those girls to lose their father, even though I'm confident Daemon is a shit father." Taelon muttered. 

"It's getting late and we keep getting interrupted. Lets go to bed." Alicent suggested. Taelon nodded in agreement. 

''Go to bed.' Rhaenyra insisted coming up to her children.

''But, Mother...'' Luke whined

''Go to bed.'' Rhaenyra said again.

"Come on Lila." Taelon scooped her up. "It's past your bed time." Lila yawned leaning into Taelon. Alicent ushered the kids inside. 

"Driftmark is cool." Aegon remarked as they wandered. 

"I think it might be fun to be a Captain, maybe on the way back, Captain Kat will let me steer." Maekar pondered as they made their way to their chambers. 

"Thorin, did you see Aemond and Aislynn?" Taelon questioned. 

"Probably getting sweets, you know Aislynn." Thorin offered and Taelon nodded in agreement. 

"Night!" Avalon and Emma echoed, arms linked as they pushed open their door. Alicent couldnt help but smile as she tucked LIla in. 

''She wanted to come home and he denied her.'' Rhaenys hissed that night

''Daemon did what he thought best.'' Corlys countered

''Daemon only ever does what is best for Daemon. Laena needed our maesters.'' Rhaenys spat

''The surgeons in Pentos are as well-trained as our maesters. You are looking to place blame for an act of the gods.'' Corlys corrected

''Mayhaps the gods have scorned us... for our insatiable pride.'' Rhaenys remarked softly as she let her ring clink to the ground.

''The crown was yours until those fools at the Great Council plucked it from your head. Is it such a terrible thing for your husband to wish to win it back?'' Corlys asked incredulously.

''Tonight of all nights, let us lay aside this falsehood. It is not justice for your wife that drives you. It is your own ambition.'' Rhaenys said bitterly.

''Tis desire for the throne, if not for yourself, then for the scions of your house.'' Corlys countered

''I gave up the idea of wearing a crown a generation ago. It is you, lord husband, who refuses to abandon this pursuit, even now, at the cost of our children.''  Rhaenys hissed. "We should have pushed harder for Laena for Taelon. Then she would have been here and happy and not a worlds away to die alone."

+

''Laenor has been restless for years, but now, he will be useless. Or worse. I know better than anyone that our marriage is a farce. But I at least make the effort to maintain appearances.'' Rhaenyra confided in Daemon.

"You have more to lose.'' Daemon reminded her

''Yes, well, we did try... to conceive a child. We performed our duty as best we could. But to no avail.'' Rhaenyra told him trying to make better of a bad situation. ''There was no joy in it. I found that elsewhere.'' Daemon smirked. ''It felt good to be desired.''

''Hm. I understand Ser Harwin was quite... devoted to you.'' Daemon offered gently.

''Yes, he was. And I trusted him. I had known him forever, Taelon liked him... it was...'' Rhaenyra sighed. "Now he is at harrenhall and he hates me. As though I was the only one involved in what we did."

"Each of us is capable of depravity. And more than you would believe.'' Daemon told her.

''I believe it of you.''

''If you're accusing me of some depravity, you'll need to be more specific.'' Daemon reminded her.

''I've been alone. You abandoned me.'' Rhaenyra shouted.

"You did not want me." Daemon corrected. "You wanted Taelon's cock, still do it seems." Rhaenyra growled out. "If I took you with me, then what? You would have hated me. You were in love with a married boy, your brother and you, yourself were a child.'' Daemon reminded her, she stopped walking and turned to him so she could see the look in his eyes.

"Laena was younger than I." Rhaenyra spat back. "I was not a child but I was blinded by Taelon thinking he would save me...  And look at what my life became without you.'' Rhaenyra spat but what she really meant was without Taelon. But Taelon did not want her, did not love her like she used to love him. So maybe she could love Daemon in the ways she used to love Taelon.  ''Droll tragedy.''

''Oh, and I wonder what you think of mine by comparison?'' Daemon countered

''I know little of it. Did you love her?'' Rhaenyra questioned noticing how her uncle seemed timeless, ten years had passed and he was still so handsome. Taelon was the same way, got even more handsome as he aged, yet he still looked timeless. It was torture. 

''We were happy enough.''

''Well, that in itself is a great achievement. I am sorry.'' Rhaenyra said remembering that they were all together again to mourn Laena's death. It was not a happy get together but could it not be? Could they not end in happily ever after... 

''Don't be.'' Daemon assured her as he did not love Laena, did not care for her death, did not care for his children either, maybe if she gave him sons but Laena did not do him that one privilege then at least driftmark would be his one day. Rhaenyra brought a hand up to his face. ''Rhaenyra.'' Daemon smirked back at her this was certainly a good way to piss Taelon off. 

''I'm no longer a child. I want you.'' Rhaenyra begged her lips colliding with his. As they pulled at each others clothes. Rhaenyra thought she was finding love but Daemon loved power. He did not have the capability of loving someone for anything more than his satisfaction. 

+

''We are alone here, husband. You can speak the plain truth as we both know it: Rhaenyra's children are not of your blood. But Laena's are. They are her legacy.'' Rhaenys reminded him bitterly.

''History does not remember blood. It remembers names.'' Corlys reminded her.

+

"Aemond, what are we doing?" Aislynn questioned. 

"I want to help you claim a dragon." Aemond remarked and eagerly Aislynn followed him but she was nervous.

"Vhagar. She was Laena's dragon." Aemond remarked as they peered over the sand. 

Vhaegar was the largest dragon. Maybe even larger than Cannibal, Aislynn didn't know if she wanted a beast of that size. She hesitated grabbing Aemond's hand. 

"Come on Aislynn, I will protect you." Aemond assured. Aislynn nodded holding tight to Aemonds hand. She had always wanted a dragon. She was the only one now that did not have a dragon. 

 Vhagar was sleeping, breathing deeply her breath blowing the sand from her face as Aemond and Aislynn approached.

"Maybe we wait for daddy." Aislynn offered nervously. 

"Come on Aislynn, I will keep you safe." Aemond assured as Vhagar snorted, her deep exhales, Aemond thought she could swallow him up in a single breath if Vhagar wanted to. 

"You dont sound so sure about that." Aislynn countered. 

"Come on Aislynn, I'm right here." aemond assured. 

Aislynn reached for the ropes and Vhagar woke, she snorted out at them, Aislynn glanced back at Aemond and he took a step forward holding her hand. Aislynn had to be brave if she was going to get a dragon of her own. Vhagar went back to sleep. Aislynn tried again, Vhagar lifted her head, opened her mouth, Aislynn stared, frozen at the fire boiling in the back of Vhagars throat.