105. Confessional

''It is Lord Blackwood's contention, therefore, that the Brackens moved the boundary stones in the dead of the night and put their horses to graze in his field.'' Lyonel declared

''Why was this issue not brought before Lord Grover? Has he grown so feeble he cannot settle a quarrel over rocks?'' Alicent countered. Taelon smiled over at Alicent and Nyra grit her teeth. 

''I've heard tale that Lord Grover's son now rules Riverrun in all but name.'' Jasper wylde remarked

''Well, he is also a Tully and this remains a Tully problem.'' Thorin told them all.

''I would agree." Taelon agreed as Alicent reached over holding onto his hand. ''If we may move on, my lords Lila wanted to train Cannibal and neither are happy when I postpone that...'' Taelon added and Alicent chuckled in agreement. 

"It's too dark my love, train tomorrow." Alicent remarked nodding outside and Taelon had not realized where the day went. 

"Still," Taelon assured the council. "we will move on."

''And yet, the Brackens and the Blackwoods will use any excuse to spill each other's blood. So... this dispute bears looking into. There will be country folk who know where the lines have been drawn for generations.''

''That is easy enough.'' Lyonel agreed ''Of course. Ser Tyland.''

''Uh, we should address the latest developments in the Stepstones, my lords" Tyland said with a sigh.

''Will we ever be done of that blasted place?'' Thorin murmured. "You fought there, won, saved the damn day, right father?"

"Well, a king should be modest but yes. I saved Daemon's flat ass." Taelon agreed with a cheeky grin. "And I regret it anything his name is brought up." He murmured under his breath. 

''If you ask me, I think the Blackwoods have the upper hand.''

''No. We've moved on to the Stepstones, Lord Beesbury.'' Alicent told them

''And the Triarchy's new alliance with Dorne.'' Tyland went on louder.

''I was hoping our negotiations with Sunspear might persuade them to see reason.'' Taelon remarked. 

 ''To trust a Martell is to be disappointed.''

"I can talk to Davina, she is friends with some Martells." Taelon offered. 

"Aunt Davina is friends with everyone." Aegon remarked. 

"It's good to have friends all over." Taelon agreed. "Especially in our position." Alicent loved that her boys were present during meetings, weekly requirement Taelon had mandated so they could learn.

''And where, I wonder, is our Prince Daemon? Or I suppose I should call him King, as he styled himself when he won a battle there... once.'' Jasper offered

''That was a decade ago and he has since left the region undefended. '' Alicent reminded them.

''We have left it undefended. There should've been fortifications built, watchtowers, a fleet of ships, a garrison of soldiers sent to hold our ground.'' Rhaenyra countered.

''We cannot afford it." Alicent corrected ''Our coffers are great, but not infinite. We must consider the cost to our subjects.''

''I must agree.'' Taelon remarked. "It has sat untouched for years. Undefended yes but-"

''The cost of war is greater.'' Rhaenyra cut in and Alicent didnt like that she cut Taelon off. ''But we have been lax and the old monster now lifts its head.''