Chapter 31 - Senior Ahri deserves to be the protagonist...

Normal text
Thinking
Onomatopoeia

Keira's POV
After that whole fiasco, Cain and the villainess brought me back to my room to calm down.

This was when Cain angrily fired at me, "Stupid girl! Why didn't you fight back?! Why are you lying there like a damsel in distress?! Do you really think those dogs are going to save you?!"

When he called me a 'damsel in distress', I could feel the rage building inside me. How dare he call me that! He has no right to call me that! He doesn't understand my pain. He doesn't understand my helplessness. The helplessness of not being able to do anything just because I had nothing to my name. He would never understand how it feels to be powerless to do anything. To always be at the mercy of others. Because he was born lucky. Because he was born with everything. He's the last person to have the right to say that to me!

"SHUT UP! YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND! NONE OF YOU DO!"

Both of them were taken aback by my outburst but I just continued screaming hysterically, "YOU ARE BORN WITH EVERYTHING! WITH MONEY, LOOKS AND POWER! YOU HAVE NEVER FELT WHAT IT WAS LIKE TO BE POWERLESS! BECAUSE YOU HAVE EVERYTHING!"

I knew that I should have just kept my mouth shut. After all, they were my saviours, so they have the right to say whatever they want and I could only nod my head in silence. But I just couldn't. I couldn't take the insults from people who were born with everything. The self-absorbed comments. The way they think everything would resolve by themself if they just 'work hard'. The world will never be that fair! It would never recognise effort alone! In the end, everything boils down to wealth and authority! Without them, I would always be beneath everyone. I would always have to suffer injustice in silence. I would always be alone. All the fear and stress that I felt from the moment I was transmigrated into this shitty novel had already accumulated to a tipping point. And his words shattered the chains holding back my barrage of unhappiness and unwillingness. I just continued to lash out at him without mercy.

"YOU ONLY SAID THIS BECAUSE YOU HAVE NEVER FELT HELPLESSNESS BEFORE! YOU HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED WHAT IT'S LIKE TO BE BENEATH EVERYONE! TO ALWAYS HAVE TO SILENTLY TAKE WHAT OTHERS DISH OUT! TO ALWAYS BE SEEN AS NOTHING BUT TRASH!"

I remembered the first time I felt the rejection of others back when I was 5 years old. The first time I realised that I was destined to be alone. That no one would be on my side.

*Flashback starts*

13 years ago.

Today was the day an adult would come by and adopt one of us. Every child was busy dressing themselves all pretty and fancy. Including me. I was excitedly brushing my hair in my room. I've been waiting for this day for ages. I have always dreamt what it was like to belong to a warm and inclusive family. To always have someone care about my existence and well-being. To have someone ask me how my day went. After making sure my hair was neat and tidy, I ran downstairs and gathered at the foyer like the rest of the children. When they saw me, they were busy whispering and pointing at my eyes as usual. I ignored them and focused on the front door. All these would change if I was chosen. If I was chosen, my parents would not despise my eyes. They would not despise my mediocre looks. They would not despise my poor status. They would love me for who I was. They would shower me with endless care and concern.

After waiting for a few minutes, the door finally opened and in came a man wearing a black top hat and a fancy-looking black overcoat. He wore a white dress shirt and a black tie underneath the overcoat. He looked really rich and noble. He was looking at us with his soft brown eyes.

He looks kind.

"Hello there, children," his deep voice sounded in the room.

"Hello, Mister," all of us greeted back.